• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No spark

USatC

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
been running through my ignition wiring and suddenly lost spark out of my coil. Like it was running one second then i turn it off and no spark. I have 6 volts running to it when starting but no spark next to a screwdriver from the coil. Replaced coil and same thing. It’s a Mallory distributor and coil.

6 volts in the start position is low. Should be about 10 -12 volts at start and about 6-8 when in the running position.

it could be a bad ignition switch, bad coil or even a bad ECU if you have electronc ignition or the wiring it self. If you have regular distributor with points it could be the points are corroded on the point contacts or a bad condenser, try cleaning the point with a file or sandpaper and regap them.

Last edited:
it could be a bad ignition switch, bad coil or even a bad ECU if you have electronc ignition or the wiring it self. If you have regular distributor with points it could be the points are corroded on the point contacts or a bad condenser, try cleaning the point with a file or sandpaper and regap them.
Could it be the ignition if the car turns?

it should be OK, did you check those other things I mentioned? What type of distributor are you running electronic or regular points?

it should be OK, did you check those other things I mentioned? What type of distributor are you running electronic or regular points?
Mallory distributor. Changed the coil.

Mallory distributor. Changed the coil.

so it is an electronic distributor like this one

8388_v1.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry for the crude diagram. Click on the diagram to make it bigger so you can see it better.
Do you have it wired like this? If you have 12 volts from the ignition switch you have to use a ballast resistor or it will DESTROY the ignition module in the distributor.

IMG_0044.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back