• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No start...sometimes

mjb765

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
I got a weird one.....69 B Body, 383 with an Edelbrock carb, Mallory coil and Mopar orange box for ignition. Get in usually the first time of the day and it will crank but not start sometimes. I get out, get a test light and put it on the coil to check for power and it's all good...then I try it again and it starts fine. Then it starts fine for the next few times until it sits for a day or two and then it happens again. Check for power--all good...try it again and it starts......I'm stumped. Cranking speed is good and it's usually on a battery tender when it's parked. Open for ideas.....

I got nothing other than to ask if it does it when not on the tender? Or does just the act of opening the hood cause it to start?

Tender or no tender---does not seem to matter

And opening the hood doesn't matter either.

I had a similar issue on my E-body. Cleaning up/dielectric grease on the bulkhead connector took care of it!

I was thinking ignition switch also...but just checking for coil power and it fires right up. Cleaned bulkhead connectors recently while working on a charging system issue. I was thinking no power while cranking, but it doesn't even try to start even when releasing the key a bit.

Auto Transport Service
Back