• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS 11 Rear Drums — is this a crack safe?

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score
Just got some NOS rear 11 inch drums. Can anyone tell me if these are cracked or normal? There is a crack in the front edge and the line between the center and front surface looks like it’s coming apart.
Normal or send back? Thanks!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Second question -- the front mounting drum around the entire face where it meets the casted edge of the drum looks like the welding or whatever is just coming loose. Is this normal? Any help is appreciated.

I believe this was discussed before.The drums are made with two different metals. The mounting face is steel and the drum part is cast. What you are seeing are the lines between the two materials.

I believe this was discussed before.The drums are made with two different metals. The mounting face is steel and the drum part is cast. What you are seeing are the lines between the two materials.
Thanks! I've just never seen the case where the edge between the two metals is so obvious. The vendor is going to swap me for another pair.

Like stated, there's two different materials, steel and cast. They don't always knit together completely during the process of assembling the two. You can look at it as the QC passed them this way and they should be fine. I've never seen it before and I've handled thousands of brake drums in the past.

I ran into this back when I was doing the '62...
20170901_173640.jpg

20170901_225743.jpg

Working as a metal fabricator most of my life and having a slight OCD mentality I elected to send them back. The second set I bought looked fine.

Really interesting in that this nos drum is fairly different than the current raybestos. Looks like the nos-ish one I got was a Wagner 60187. Definitely different castings but the mounting heights are the same. Wagner is much lighter. My measuring is not that precise due to old lumber but close enough! More research ahead! Thanks all!

IMG_5938.jpeg

IMG_5939.jpeg

IMG_5942.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

Anyone know which casting is correct or did different vendors make different drums with same part numbers?

Front 11" drums have gotten pretty scarce out there....

Auto Transport Service
Back