• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS 413 Engine

No problem. I’m just trying to get the low down on this new engine. My imperial runs good too. I sent the carburetor out for a complete overhaul. It leaks some oil from the rear main and front oil pan seal. Not bad though. Maybe 1/4 quart in 2000 miles.
I am still astonished that it hasn’t leaked a drip from anywhere since I got it to run back in November ‘19.
9EA36FB7-BF0E-48F1-B154-8E67D050E51B.jpeg
609C8D78-7E19-4D39-94D2-381DBD8364AD.jpeg

Thanks!
Looks like you might need different pushrods with new lifters.. those appear to be the early neck-down rods. Never seen them myself.

These will be fine for the spring pressure that I have. The compressed spring pressure to open the valves will not exceed 234lbs. These are the same pushrods and springs that were use in the New Yorker and imperial in ‘64. 1.020 ID. Correct crankshaft and cam too. Everything is starting to come clear now about what it is. The dyno will compute the intake and exhaust lift and tell more too. These guys build funny car engines along with everything else. They are very well respected here in Arizona. I trust them with no hesitations whatsoever.

Last edited:
Mine didn’t either until I took on I10 through the desert for 300 miles at 100+ degrees. Nice car. Does your auto pilot work?
Thanks and I actually removed the Auto Pilot because it interfered with the new dual res master. After I got it running after at least 11 years of storage I went about replacing the brakes and a majority of the front suspension along with starting to tackle getting everything working inside like windows and such. It’s rust free with the exception of the interior floor pans which I got from a donor car at the same time I got a whole donor car for one of my ‘67’s so this one went on the back burner since then.

Thanks and I actually removed the Auto Pilot because it interfered with the new dual res master. After I got it running after at least 11 years of storage I went about replacing the brakes and a majority of the front suspension along with starting to tackle getting everything working inside like windows and such. It’s rust free with the exception of the interior floor pans which I got from a donor car at the same time I got a whole donor car for one of my ‘67’s so this one went on the back burner since then.
All of my windows work (even the wing vents) along with the power door locks, antenna, and six way bench. All the lights work too. Even the ashtray light.

These will be fine for the spring pressure that I have. The compressed spring pressure to open the valves will not exceed 234lbs. These are the same pushrods and springs that were use in the New Yorker and imperial in ‘64. 1.020 ID. Correct crankshaft and cam too. Everything is starting to come clear now about what it is. The dyno will compute the intake and exhaust lift and tell more too. These guys build funny car engines along with everything else. They are very well respected here in Arizona. I trust them with no hesitations whatsoever.
The point I was trying to make is, if you went to new lifters (the one we could barely see the bottom of didn't look so great) you have to make sure they match the small pushrod end.
Sounds like the builders will have that covered, can't wait to see the old girl run!

The point I was trying to make is, if you went to new lifters (the one we could barely see the bottom of didn't look so great) you have to make sure they match the small pushrod end.
Sounds like the builders will have that covered, can't wait to see the old girl run!
The push rods and lifters are all brand new and OEM. They are from a a 57 year old never started 413 engine. I’ll keep posting pics of the progress. Thanks

Sorry Jonpaul, I missed the original picture, what a dork I am!

Sounds like the 413 you have is a very trick piece of kit indeed!
Adjustable rockers and solid lifters, wonderful stuff indeed.

I would try and find a set of 1967 '915' heads for such a rare and unique engine!
If you was closer I would send you my spare set, that I have on a trick 440ci.

'516' and '915' are Chalk and cheese when it comes to Mopar IRON!
Its 'grocery getter' compared to 'supersonic-rocketship' lol:steering:

516 head.png

I would try and find a set of 1967 '915' heads for such a rare and unique engine!

View attachment 1208460

Unfortunately the 516 has small Ex-ports and even a smallblock exhaust valve!

The 915 casting was and still is the best Mopar 'iron-head' ever made.
Spending money on a 516 is 'money down the drain' in my opinion...

915 heads.JPG 915 porting.jpg

View attachment 1208460
I agree. I’d love to find a set of 300k heads with 1.75 exhausts the same year. It’s pretty wild it’s been waiting 57 years for someone to finally wake it up. I can’t wait for the dyno print out to check out the lift. I’m going to have my imperial V8 completely refurbished as well. Maybe I’ll throw that back in, and throw this in a dart, or something. I have a spare torque flite from my ‘64 New Yorker too.

Unfortunately the 516 has small Ex-ports and even a smallblock exhaust valve!
The 915 casting was and still is the best Mopar 'iron-head' ever made.
Spending money on a 516 is 'money down the drain' in my opinion...

View attachment 1208461 View attachment 1208462
The 516’s will be fine for the passenger car that I’m putting it in. I’ll just need to adjust the rockers every 10k or so.

Auto Transport Service
Back