• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS 440 HP cast cranks, any good?

Barraguy

Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
Saw a craigslist add up in NY, some one claims to have to NOS cast 440 HP cranks still in there orginal packaging. chrysler part# 4027578, casting# 4027175. These any good?

It depends on the price, your budget, and intended usage. In a few IMO very rare cases it could work out assuming it was ready to balance and run.

IMHO, they are awesome!!! Need a boat anchor? Paperweight? Something to drop on your enemies feet? It can fill those needs and more. Great for punchlines, too! How are you feeling today....just point at it, it speaks for itself.
In reality, if you had it already, or it was really really cheap, and you weren't looking to make a high revving, high horse engine (think truck) they would work. If you are building something more, find a good stock forged, the balancing will cost the same, and you're starting with a better part. Just my thoughts...

Actually, mom's cast cranks are pretty decent. GM is the one that gave cast cranks a bad name but if the price is over 100 bucks, I'd look for a forged unit which are usually much stronger. That said, Chrysler cast cranks are usually much better than most other brands and I wouldn't be afraid of using a cast unit for a 500 hp build. Besides, they are lighter than a forged piece and will spool up a bit quicker than the heavier forged crank.

Actually, mom's cast cranks are pretty decent. GM is the one that gave cast cranks a bad name but if the price is over 100 bucks, I'd look for a forged unit which are usually much stronger. That said, Chrysler cast cranks are usually much better than most other brands and I wouldn't be afraid of using a cast unit for a 500 hp build. Besides, they are lighter than a forged piece and will spool up a bit quicker than the heavier forged crank.

That's exactly the HP number I heard from one guy that used to run them. I sold him my cast crank for a 440 he was building and the only reason I sold it was because I had a forged one in stock. Otherwise I would have used it.

Oh, and that crank that I sold him came out of my 77 440 and was run with a .509" cam. And let's just say the last owner of my 440 (I knew the guy) wasn't just driving to church on Sun. at 25 MPH. That engine also had all the original 77 internals right down to the date coded bearings. All they did was slap a .509" cam in it and 915 heads on top and proceeded to point the tach needle as far to the right as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO, they are awesome!!! Need a boat anchor? Paperweight? Something to drop on your enemies feet? It can fill those needs and more. Great for punchlines, too! How are you feeling today....just point at it, it speaks for itself.
In reality, if you had it already, or it was really really cheap, and you weren't looking to make a high revving, high horse engine (think truck) they would work. If you are building something more, find a good stock forged, the balancing will cost the same, and you're starting with a better part. Just my thoughts...

Maybe Cranky should have one in the corner. Maybe he does!!! Haha!

Auto Transport Service
Back