• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not a good adventure

BlueCoronet

Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
Took the old girl out for a cruise tonight and had the fuel pump fail.
Thankfully Hagerty roadside assistance was on the ball. I was home within an hour.
I had planned on pulling the engine for a refresh/repaint anyhow so I can add a fuel pump to the list and start a bit earlier than planned.
Any recommendations on a mechanical fuel pump for a mild 360? Not taking to the strip or anything. It's just a cruiser so I'm guessing a stock replacement would suffice?

IMG_20231005_175149.jpg

Carter mechanical Fuel pumps are good and they can be rebuilt. Not cheap though..

NEW Carter M6270 Hi-Performance Fuel Pump M 6270 | eBay
Unfortunately Carter quit selling the street version of that pump... The linked pump is 8 PST & requires a pressure regulator..

I would suggest trying to find a street version of that pump as the standard pumps are junk...

Another option 6 PSI which is supposed to be good without a regulator... But even more $$$

Last edited:
Funny thing today. I came home from work, new fuel pump in hand. Something told me to try starting it. It turned over like always but I noticed the fuel filter filling up with fuel. Took a couple of tries but it popped. I tried one more time and she fired right up.
I let it idle for a good 10 minutes and watched the filter which never dropped it's fuel level. Idles great. Like nothing had ever happened.
I have a new tank and sender sitting in their boxes along with all of the fuel tank seals and filler neck rubber elbows and hoses.
The only thing I can figure is some 5h!t was in the tank that obstructed the fuel sock (I'm assuming these things have a fuel sock) or possibly the hose between the tank and steel line may be collapsing?
Either way it will be replaced.
Anyone want to weigh in?

Are you sure it was the fuel pump? I have had coils fail in such a way that I thought it was a fuel problem, too. After your car (and coil) cools down it will usually start, only to act up again as the engine heats up.

Last edited:
Funny thing today. I came home from work, new fuel pump in hand. Something told me to try starting it. It turned over like always but I noticed the fuel filter filling up with fuel. Took a couple of tries but it popped. I tried one more time and she fired right up.
I let it idle for a good 10 minutes and watched the filter which never dropped it's fuel level. Idles great. Like nothing had ever happened.
I have a new tank and sender sitting in their boxes along with all of the fuel tank seals and filler neck rubber elbows and hoses.
The only thing I can figure is some 5h!t was in the tank that obstructed the fuel sock (I'm assuming these things have a fuel sock) or possibly the hose between the tank and steel line may be collapsing?
Either way it will be replaced.
Anyone want to weigh in?

I’ve found rubber lines on the suction side of the fuel system so deteriorated that they were sucking air, much like trying to drink with a broken straw. Easy fix once I figured it out…

I would start checking to make sure the fuel lines are all good and tight. Those small screw clamps are not the best either but if they're there, make sure they are tight. If they all look good, you might swap the coil or have a spare in the car with you next time so you can swap them. If it starts right up, the old coil is probably short for this world. No pun intended....

When you were on the side of the road was there any fuel shot from the accelerator pump ?

Everything from the fuel tank to the carb must be: 1) Clean 2) Airtight 3) filled with Fresh fuel. Problems occur when any of them is not.

Are you sure it was the fuel pump? I have had coils fail in such a way that I thought it was a fuel problem, too. After your car (and coil) cools down it will usually start, only to act up again as the engine heats up.
The fuel filter was dry when the issue originally happened. At this time I doubt it was the pump itself but rather something in the tank blocking the pick up or the rubber hoses (20+ years old) collapsing internally.

When you were on the side of the road was there any fuel shot from the accelerator pump ?
No, theere was no fuel shot, the bowls were dry (according to the sight glasses on the side of the bowls. The filter (see through) was basically dry as well. This led me to the fuel pump diagnosis, but now that it starts and runs again without replacing anything.

Everything from the fuel tank to the carb must be: 1) Clean 2) Airtight 3) filled with Fresh fuel. Problems occur when any of them is not.
Agreed. I'm replacing the hoses, sender, and tank this weekend as I'm seeing evidence of the interior of the tank being rusty and the fuel gauge only moving minimally no matter how much fuel is in the tank.

Sunday I took the time to drop the tank.
It had what I believe was an original tank. The float on the sender was disintegrated as was the strainer. Everything was pretty crusty.
I put in a new tank, stainless sender, new o-rings, and hoses for the filler neck and breather tubes.
I have yet to change out the pump (I had thought that was a point of failure the other day) but I do have one new in the box on the shelf.
There was still nice original paint on the floor above the tank.

IMG_20231015_144829.jpg

IMG_20231015_144722.jpg

IMG_20231015_145155.jpg

Not the first time I've seen a "restored" car using the original fuel tank, with the internal crud eventually causing a problem. The first thing to ensure is a clean, airtight fuel delivery system. If it's not, everything else doesn't matter.

There is a good chance the insides of the original hard lines from the tank to the carb look at lot like that sending unit also.

Auto Transport Service
Back