• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The old saying. “Not If but When”

The engine is on the run stand. Working on this new stuff is a bit different for me. Sorting through sensors to get spark.
I finally have it figured out and hope to have it running this week.
I still need to get it into the car and set it up in the chassis.
I just rewired the whole car.
I'll have it ready for the track in the spring.

View attachment 1571915
I’d say that working on the new stuff would be challenging for the majority of us. That’s quite the intake. What kind of weight difference is there from the RB set up.

I push the buttons.
Doug
I think so long as you’re using the push buttons there’s no way to add either air or electric shift that I can think of. For my quarter stick shifter, electric was the only kit available for it. I’m looking forward to this upgrade.

I’d say that working on the new stuff would be challenging for the majority of us. That’s quite the intake. What kind of weight difference is there from the RB set up.
I don't think there's going to be much weight savings.
If you compare a 440 with aluminum heads, intake, waterpump etc., probably about the same.

So this is the time of year when lots of us guys have hibernated into the garage and get to working on their off-season list. My list had a number of items, one being engine refresh, which is the last one on my list. Originally built in 2015, it was time for my 505. Coming apart everything looked excellent and it seemed like nothing but a new set of rings, brgs, timing set and cylinder heads touch up. I did find one lifter that was iffy also so a new set will also go in. Upon further clean up and close inspection though, what the hell, #2 main web has a crack leading down into the bottoms of 1 & 3 cylinders. This crack could have been in the making for years, there was no signs of a problem. The old girl was dipping into the 9.’s last time out and not missing a beat. Regardless, things just took a turn for the worse.

View attachment 1569926
View attachment 1569927

Just like I’ve heard here many times from many people those stock RB blocks will crack once the HP gets up there. Not IF but WHEN. So coming across this was not that much of a surprise. Even with Aluminum main caps, main stud girdle and a lightweight crank. Oh well.
View attachment 1569961
Last time out.

I’ve always said that when the 505 dies It’ll be time for a 540, aftermarket block on pump gas. Mancini has blocks for 5,999.00, shipping included within the US. Then. A Buddy says to me. I have an RB block. It’s been sitting for 40 years - use it. A couple days later the block showed up at my place and a new plan got underway.

View attachment 1569929

View attachment 1569930

Block cleaned up. Water jackets got the Muriatic Acid treatment and a partial Hard Blok fill is complete. Block is now out for bore, line hone with main studs, decking, etc. The 540 pump gas plan got moved back to the next time around. That would have likely opened a new can of worms anyways, with the old Plymouth limited to 10.00 as it sits now. If this Round 2 505 lasts 9 years like the first one did, holy smokes the age number..

But the rest of the list is wrapped up. And I did end up finding 53lbs, all of it off the front - glass hood included. Although the HardBlok put some Lbs back in. Will still meet my 3200Lb less driver with fuel target.

View attachment 1569957
Tidied up electrical and some other areas. Was eyeing the firewall reinforcement plate, but it dodged the cut for now.

View attachment 1569960
Steering column got very lighter.

View attachment 1569959
Electric shift addition for ‘24.

That’s what’s shaking in my camp this off-season. Even pounded the oil pan back out straight again.
Nice car/combo! Yes it's pretty much 'when' at big power levels. What was the total weight at the line? Did you have a crank trigger on it?

Nice car/combo! Yes it's pretty much 'when' at big power levels. What was the total weight at the line? Did you have a crank trigger on it?
Thanks for the kind words. Weight was 3440-3445 on the staring line with me in the car. Yes a crank trigger was added for the 2023 season.

santa came again today !
say hello to my little friend....P5007482AB.

IMG_1439.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

Thanks for the kind words. Weight was 3440-3445 on the staring line with me in the car. Yes a crank trigger was added for the 2023 season.
That's showing about 700HP...very nice! What's the combo? Is it detailed elsewhere here? How many years did you sort things out? How many laps? I think you could see that I was eluding that a crank trigger is one component helpful to longevity?

That's showing about 700HP...very nice! What's the combo? Is it detailed elsewhere here? How many years did you sort things out? How many laps? I think you could see that I was eluding that a crank trigger is one component helpful to longevity?
Dyno was 720HP, 677 TQ. 326 passes on the motor. 505.
12.7 CR. Edelbrock Victor MW heads. Solid Roller, Super Victor & 1050 Dom.
Always ran at 36 degrees timing except this last season once the trigger was installed, running it at 34-35 degrees. Timing got rock solid with the addition of the trigger.

Replacement block will have a partial fill. Same rotating assembly freshened. Both car and driver has been a fun work in progress and always improving.

Use to work for SCAT SALES/ENGINE TECH. Sometimes a crank with center counterweights can stop web cracks. It affects the middle 3 usually. Your firing order 18436572 has 4/3 firing on the same main. If there was even the slightest bit of crossover spark in the cap then 3 would fire way soon. Just throwing a few ideas into the mix.

Use to work for SCAT SALES/ENGINE TECH. Sometimes a crank with center counterweights can stop web cracks. It affects the middle 3 usually. Your firing order 18436572 has 4/3 firing on the same main. If there was even the slightest bit of crossover spark in the cap then 3 would fire way soon. Just throwing a few ideas into the mix.
Yes yes excellent point! I have a 4/7 3/2 swap cam and I'm sure that's another aid for longevity. I looked a while back but did not notice SCAT carrying a line of 8 CW cranks for BBMopar.

Dyno was 720HP, 677 TQ. 326 passes on the motor. 505.
12.7 CR. Edelbrock Victor MW heads. Solid Roller, Super Victor & 1050 Dom.
Always ran at 36 degrees timing except this last season once the trigger was installed, running it at 34-35 degrees. Timing got rock solid with the addition of the trigger.

Replacement block will have a partial fill. Same rotating assembly freshened. Both car and driver has been a fun work in progress and always improving.
VERY few ever realize (by trial and error) the performance of even an 'unhappy' dyno. Not sure of the level of prep that went into those parts but it seems realistic to me albiet 9.9/134 @ 3500 is? I'm curious to see what my old 486 motor shows once it's all realized. This chart corrects to mid7's. Hopefully it holds together for some laps. It has a light bobwt., alloy rods, std firing cam, but it sees 7500 occasionally.

DVW_Scott62FirstFull.png

Last edited:
Yes yes excellent point! I have a 4/7 3/2 swap cam and I'm sure that's another aid for longevity. I looked a while back but did not notice SCAT carrying a line of 8 CW cranks for BBMopar.
It’s been a while. They did them on billets. Chevies had some on forgings. Hard sell to most racers. 3.75+ stroke super light SBC’s could be had on special order. Usually sprint cars and virtually all nascar and road race billets.

Sorry to see this Malex, but I’m sure you’ll be back, better than ever. Good catch before parts were flying.

Sorry to see this Malex, but I’m sure you’ll be back, better than ever. Good catch before parts were flying.
Hey thanks LW.
Yeah I got this. Will be the same combo, just a different block and low tension rings now that I’m running a vacuum pump. Also removed 100 lbs from the car this off season so there’s likely a new PB coming up.

Hey thanks LW.
Yeah I got this. Will be the same combo, just a different block and low tension rings now that I’m running a vacuum pump. Also removed 100 lbs from the car this off season so there’s likely a new PB coming up.
Malex ,
i recall you are only legal to 10.00? Are you going to upgrade to full cage ? I know some of us keep chasing ET but I've mostly tried to stay at a point where i can run flat out but not be able to exceed my ET limit no matter how good the weather . JMO for bracket racing . Mine is legal to 10.00 which allows me to run 2 different classes , best analogy is Pro and Super Pro though Super Street (no box/Pro ) is a 10.00 ET limit

Tex
PS , my Plymouth is only a dirty old street car. Not a clean machine like yours .

Malex ,
i recall you are only legal to 10.00? Are you going to upgrade to full cage ? I know some of us keep chasing ET but I've mostly tried to stay at a point where i can run flat out but not be able to exceed my ET limit no matter how good the weather . JMO for bracket racing . Mine is legal to 10.00 which allows me to run 2 different classes , best analogy is Pro and Super Pro though Super Street (no box/Pro ) is a 10.00 ET limit

Tex
PS , my Plymouth is only a dirty old street car. Not a clean machine like yours .
Yep. Same line of thought and plan as you Tex. Should be able to keep it above 10.0 with shift programming and will have to do my job at the tree. Just one class for me is good enough for this cat.

Mine’s an old Plymouth just like yours, maybe just a few extra wipes here and there being the only difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back