• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The old saying. “Not If but When”

Electric shift addition for ‘24.
air shifter for 2024 ! and new much lighter recaro racing seats..

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

Those are some very serious upgrades. Have you been able to try them out yet?
still hooking everything up, configuring things then wiring and CO2 hose...those seats r lite and comfy on my old bones. tried to get a hold of the guy with the iron mega block today but nothing yet.....i did talk to another guy locally who bought 2 aluminum BM blocks 15 years ago, 1 a hemi and the other a wedge,,he's using the hemi and the other is in his house as a coffee table !,,wife died so there it is..which 1, iron or aluminum ?

still hooking everything up, configuring things then wiring and CO2 hose...those seats r lite and comfy on my old bones. tried to get a hold of the guy with the iron mega block today but nothing yet.....i did talk to another guy locally who bought 2 aluminum BM blocks 15 years ago, 1 a hemi and the other a wedge,,he's using the hemi and the other is in his house as a coffee table !,,wife died so there it is..which 1, iron or aluminum ?
Buy them both and sell me one. Your choice on which. :)

How much timing and what fuel?
Doug

How much timing and what fuel?
Doug
Yes I was wondering when that question would surface. It’s something I was aware of right off the hop as we’ve mentioned it here numerous times over the years. Having a good tune to keep away from detonation.

Between 108 - 110 octane the last 6 or 7 years. 112 before that. 36 degrees, last season running at 34 to 35. It did pretty well. Built in 2015, probly 740-750 HP range. It started out at 720, changes were made and it picked up.

That’s good info Tex. An aftermarket block is the way to go and I’m keeping an eye out. In the meantime I’m gonna use this block and stuff my rotating assembly into it. It’ll buy me time and keep me out of 9 second issues.

The new block will be built into a 540. 4.250 X 4.500 with a new rotating assembly.
A new Callies block today - including tax, not including shipping and in CDN funds is $9,000.00
Exchange rates sure kick the hell out of us hey.
Hahaha ,
Im hearing you . I paid $7K for mine in 18 and had to fly half way across country to get it . Wasnt sure if it was a 4.320 or 4.5 bore at the time . I was happy it was 4.320 so my 0.030 over pistons were reusable . Not sure you can run my 7.1 rods with 4.5 bore ?

Tex

Not sure you can run my 7.1 rods with 4.5 bore ?

Tex
No issue with the 7.100" and 4.500" bore. going on year 12 and 1000 passes. Mines even rin 7.150" rods before.
Doug

Hahaha ,
Im hearing you . I paid $7K for mine in 18 and had to fly half way across country to get it . Wasnt sure if it was a 4.320 or 4.5 bore at the time . I was happy it was 4.320 so my 0.030 over pistons were reusable . Not sure you can run my 7.1 rods with 4.5 bore ?

Tex
I’m certain that a guy can. My 572 has 7.1 rods on a 4.5” bore & stroke. A 4.250” would be fair game I’m sure. I think that an external oil line becomes a necessity with the 4.5” stroke though.

So my engine refresh now becomes rings, bearings, etc and a different old block. :eek:
I rechecked the numbers to re-confirm my compression ratio. Still coming in at 12.7

Those are some very serious upgrades. Have you been able to try them out yet?
Hey Stage 3 - I’m not seeing a transbrake button? Foot braking must be.

Hey Stage 3 - I’m not seeing a transbrake button? Foot braking must be.
No trans brake, size 13 foot only, when i was at Bakersfield nostalgia drags october i talked to this 75 year old man racing a 64 plymouth with the motor from hot rod garage, 511 max wedge making 728 HP. 1 of the pointers he gave me was get an air shifter, he said it will do 2 things,1 u will be more consistant and 2 u wont blow it up...his car was all steel running 10.50's with the kerky aluminum seat that looked Extremely Uncomfortable. even steel bumpers, i thought that adding just a FG hood he could get a more comfortable seat ! but thats just me. he also said that he stes the biondo RPM switch 400 RPM's before his shift point from 1-2 and 200 RPM before 2-3. and that with a 200 RPM shift point increase its good for a 1/10th...interesting stuff, So my air shifter assembly showed up a few days ago :thumbsup: and the recaro's days before that.

Malex
sucks royally
about that block & main web cracks & up into the cylinders

good luck on the new $$$ block...

No trans brake, size 13 foot only, when i was at Bakersfield nostalgia drags october i talked to this 75 year old man racing a 64 plymouth with the motor from hot rod garage, 511 max wedge making 728 HP. 1 of the pointers he gave me was get an air shifter, he said it will do 2 things,1 u will be more consistant and 2 u wont blow it up...his car was all steel running 10.50's with the kerky aluminum seat that looked Extremely Uncomfortable. even steel bumpers, i thought that adding just a FG hood he could get a more comfortable seat ! but thats just me. he also said that he stes the biondo RPM switch 400 RPM's before his shift point from 1-2 and 200 RPM before 2-3. and that with a 200 RPM shift point increase its good for a 1/10th...interesting stuff, So my air shifter assembly showed up a few days ago :thumbsup: and the recaro's days before that.

Malex
sucks royally
about that block & main web cracks & up into the cylinders

good luck on the new $$$ block...
Thanks Sir Budnicks! It’s all good over here. Things wear out with cycles and cracks happen when you push old iron beyond its intended ranges after awhile. A nice new short block will happen over here in time. Just wish that the $$ exchange would do a flip flop long enough for me to fill the cart and check out.

I personally see no reason for an air shifter. Mine repeats like clock work using the stock push buttons. I do agree on the earlier 1/2 shift. If you data log or use a play back tach you'll see that it takes a fair amount of time to fill the second gear servo. Thus increasing the time before the 1/2 shift is completed. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift. The shift itself always takes the same amount of time. A quicker car gains more rpm in that window of time. The 2/3 occors muchquicker.
Doug

I personally see no reason for an air shifter. Mine repeats like clock work using the stock push buttons. I do agree on the earlier 1/2 shift. If you data log or use a play back tach you'll see that it takes a fair amount of time to fill the second gear servo. Thus increasing the time before the 1/2 shift is completed. The quicker the car, the earlier you need to shift. The shift itself always takes the same amount of time. A quicker car gains more rpm in that window of time. The 2/3 occors muchquicker.
Doug
It seems that the thing that moves the shifter handle in my car at the same time each time is the problem. :) Hoping this fixes that.

After trying everything to keep a 740 hp 440 together I've decided to abandon ship and try some newer stuff.

20231208_104336.jpg

I personally see no reason for an air shifter. Mine repeats like clock work using the stock push buttons.
are you pushing those buttons manually while shifting ? or do you have an automatic system of some sort programed into the governor ?

Last edited:
are you pushing those buttons manually while shifting ? or do you have an automatic system of some sort programed into the governor ?
I push the buttons.
Doug

Hey Bobtile. How’s that working out. Making any passes with the new set up?
The engine is on the run stand. Working on this new stuff is a bit different for me. Sorting through sensors to get spark.
I finally have it figured out and hope to have it running this week.
I still need to get it into the car and set it up in the chassis.
I just rewired the whole car.
I'll have it ready for the track in the spring.

20231208_111631.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back