• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOT ANOTHER CAM THREAD!!

You mean back when there was 98 octane fuel available everywhere?

My point was, just about every 383 built with open chamber heads has no quench.
Some of those combos will have a problem with ping as a result...... some won’t.

In one thread I notice that you mentioned that the 268 Voodoo would be a better choice than the xe268, can you tell me which Voodoo 268?

You’ll find that chasing quench is a PITA and it’ll net you about an extra 1/4 point of compression on a good day. If it’s a fresh complete build go for it, if not, don’t fret over it. Measure the parts, cc the heads. Open chambers will run in the upper 80’s unmilled. I’d aim for 9.0-9.25 :1 if you want pump gas and timing set as it should be with a 215-225 @ .050 cam.

The voodoo cam uses higher valvetrain acceleration and velocity for more lift. Expect to use stiffer springs and have higher valvetrain wear. The comp cams will be more stockish in terms of ramps (modified cycloidal or similar) and have longer life. You’ll get more power from the voodoo.

1CE1926B-B05D-4B3D-A53F-89C9AA74923C.jpeg

(stock 906 heads; if any body know flows for stock 516s can punch them in)

Hi Red,... Maybe I missed something but Elgin specs that E1053P as 253 @ .050 solid lifter Pro Stock...Not exactly in agreement with the pictured juice stick you show... Just for clarity, what cam is in your motor ? ......tom.

I think the one he posted was an example...I am curious about the xe268 especially its vacuum.

Auto Transport Service
Back