• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Mopar Related BUT Engine Related, VHT Gloss Clear.....

Is VHT Gloss Clear Any Good?

• Yes Get It

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No Don't Waste Your Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Depends

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

66ChargerHI-PO

Local time
12:15 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I kind of went on a shopping spree at one of my local AutoZone's a couple days ago on Monday, and of course I left with more stuff than I went in for. I bought Mopar t-shirts and an American flag t-shirt that I really liked for only $10.00 each, a beer hat for a beer that I actually drink, and what I went in for which was more Meguiars 105 Compound and more VHT gloss white engine paint. While I was getting my engine paint I noticed this VHT gloss clear engine enamel stuff next to my engine paint on the shelve in my picture below, and was debating on getting it for when I eventually paint an engine on one of my tractor projects to make it a bit shinier OR maybe to re-repaint another engine on another one of my tractors. Has anyone used it?, is it any good?, or should I just stay away from it and not get it?

Any opinions, advice, and help is always much appreciated.

Thanks.

VHT.jpg

I never used it. VHT seems good quality, I like their wrinkle finish paint in a rattle can.

I usually try to stay away from all rattle can paint. Is it any good? Not as good as paint with a hardener in it.

I used it to paint my 383, lays down very smooth, holds up well.

I have found the key to VHT or any rattle can paint is to cure the part in the sun daily for at least a week ( more is better ) and then let it sit for another month or so in your shop and it cures hard as a rock. I am in no rush on things so it works good for me IMHO.

I sprayed VHT Clear over VHT Red on my Canadian big block almost a year ago. I still have not fired the motor up, so it should be cured by now.

IMG_20200927_141110_burst_01_kindlephoto-5426643[1].jpg P5020009.JPG P6130006.JPG

I did my engine with VHT Hemi Orange, since the paint does its final curing when the engine is running I "pre-heated" it a few times with a heat gun at 80deg C since the engine/car was not ready yet to be reunited.
When I finally had the engine back in the car and ran it for the first time the paint still cured more as it smoked a little the first time, really stinks also.
But after that no more and has gone solid as a rock and is holding up very nice.
I did not coat it with any clear gloss and would not had to since it is shiny enough for my liking.
Any dirt/oil/fuel is wiped off easy and does not leave stains or attack the paint.

Years ago I painted a small block in my Duster race car with VHT gloss black. After it dried for a few days, I thought I would try their gloss clear. The shine was great, and that engine looked freshly painted and stayed glossy and clean for a number of years right up until I sold the car. Great product.

Last edited:
I used the clear over my refreshed 318 this winter and I was happy with it. When I was priming my fuel system before the first start, my carb feed leaked gas all over the intake (also painted with same clear). It was probably sitting on the intake for 2 minutes and I was extremely happy that the clear did a great job and no paint was damaged by the leak. Still nice and shinny.

I coated my raw aluminum intake with clear. Got a slight bit of yellowing but it's held up pretty well for two years.

Auto Transport Service
Back