• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

not sure what colour to go with

charger360

Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
Ok boys the car is a 74 charger se it is y6 gold now which is a light gold also known as poly gold. It has black vinyl and a black interior. My first thought was triple black. But my last couple of cars were black love the look but hate the dirt and it take so much more work to make it look good in black! This car will be a nice driver no showcar it may go to some shows but i drive my cars a lot. Any input would be nice i can't seem to make up my mind!. cheers

Gold and black looks pretty good.
My 73 is JY3. Called "honey gold" but is more yellow with a tint of butterscotch.
Gonna look good with black top and bulge hood with blackout in center.
Also goes well with red trim in grille and red machine gun tips.

Black is a beautiful color on about any car but i hear you on dirt, I bought my wife a sleek black Olds 442 and you couldn't keep that thing clean washing it twice a day, Its one mile exactly to get off the dirt road. Those Chargers i would have a hard time on a color, theres so many that looks great on a car that has a sleek body style as they do but ive always pictured one two tone, Gloss black and a heavy metallic dark silver.. With a black vinyl top i myself would be very tempted in that combo even on this road.. Just my thought, i wish ya luck, its hard to decide with so many to pick from! Hope you'll show us what ever color you decide..

My Dakota is Amber Blaze (mettalic orange/copper).
It doesn't show dirt hardly at all.
However, when it's clean, it sure does POP.
MY Coronet is light mettalic bronze.
Same thing. Dirt is not too noticeable, but cleans up really well.

Your gold should do the same.
Silver probably as well.

I'm trying to talk my son into one of two colors for our charger my first choice is Go Mango second is Sublime green he wants to go with 2011 ford grabber blue like his mustang.

FJ6....GO GREEN!!!!!!!!

102_1354.jpg

Google "1974 Charger Pic's". Plenty of pic's to choose from and you might see a color that catches your eye, for your car.

Just and idea....Good luck!

Lots of diffrerent "coorect" colors as there were some changes between 73 and 74.

fl66- that new Ford blue is real close to Petty blue, which would be "acceptable".

In my opinion I would g with 1 of 3 colors.

1.Green with envy green(or lighter metalic green)
2.metalic orange
3.Petty blue

I'm going with a chrysler late model light metallic silver w/ a black vinyl top and stripe on back. on my 68 R\T Coronet.
I wanted a forgiving color and also one that not the same as a thousand others.
My SRT 10 is black, and is a real pain to keep clean.

Me personally, I would stick with the gold. It looks cool, and besides that Changing colors require a lot more work to make it look right. (engine compartment, door jams, & trunk area)

I like the gold.
Here's a pic of Charger360's car
371075_589199498_1086951244_n1.jpg

Too many cars get color changes that changes the car's character.
Hey,it was the Seventies where "earth tones" were king ..and people had fridges and stoves the same gold color,LOL!!
For some reason,yellow,gold,brown and green cars tend to have a better survival rate compared to red,blue and black cars.
Mature owners that cared for the cars just happened to have earth tone colored cars.
Whereas the fast color cars were driven hard by more youthful owners.
LOL!!

We used to have a running joke everytime soemone said they either went to look at a Mopar or bought one-

Is it green or tan? (no other choices).

thanks for the input so far guy's i am still not totally sure but i have a bit of time before the paint goes on i may stick with a gold just not sure yet

Well, here's the colors offered that year... my '74 is J6, which is about as seventies as it gets... :D

Attachments

• 1974-dodge-pc.jpg
    1974-dodge-pc.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 297
I would recommend getting samples of the colors you prefer and do a test on an old door or something.
Narrow it down to two colors--factory original and the nice dark bronze on the front valance panel.
Take it out in the sunlight,take it inside and see how the color reacts.Grab a piece of black and set it aside the test panel.
Given the darker color,a color change can prove tedious and lots of work.
I would go with the original color.
Why?
It will stand out in the sea of other colors Chargers are more seen in,and the black top/guts will make the paint just pop.
That may help you decide.

Last edited:
I don't know man............with that coke bottle style body, that thing would look killer black. Like you said, pain to keep clean and the body work/prep needs to be top notch, but in the end...Wow!! Myself, I look for excuses to spend time with the car in the garage and tackle a couple brews here and there. The red/blue/gold/green colors seem to be pretty common, but how often you run across a black one?

I forgot the name of that series off USA, but that black Charger on that show looks pretty mean. Good luck with your choice, it's a tough one to make for sure!

it is going to be a dark metalic brown not a mopar colour but close it is from a 2011 toyota venza it looks awsome in the sun and has a vintage flair to it. waygun has had a look at the drivers door which is jammed out already, i think he likes it but he is totaly into the original thing so he may just be telling me what i want to hear!

Auto Transport Service
Back