• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NSS Racing Max wedge 440-25 intake with 2 800 Edelbrock thunders

bishop

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm running a +.06 flattop 4.150 stroke with a .660 roller with 2 800 thunders with a 440-25 intake I'm have trouble with my fuel pressure dropping off to 3 or 4 PSI after I get it in drive. Running 6.345 in the 1/8 @ 108MPH with a 1.414 60 ft., 10.09 in 1/4 I one have a single line feeding each Edelbrock 800 do I need to feed the carbs dual line and what fuel pressure are you guys running. I presently running a Barry grant 280 I'm planning on putting a BG 400 4 port regulator to "fix" the problem, Any thoughts

Brian

your 1st 2 problems barry grant fuel pump and regulator. nothing but problems. you need a product engineering setup.
BG stuff is the worst. i had the same trouble. your only going to hurt your motor.

what size pick-up in the cell/tank ?? what size/style fuel lines are you running ?? the 280gpm should be enough if set up properly... I wonder if inertia may be part of the problem, or fuel running away from the pick-up in the tank/cell, or maybe fuel running back to the tank, but that's usually also on or just after the launch too, not just on top end... Do you have a relay installed for you electric fuel pump wiring & power supply ??, so you will always get a constant 12vts @ the pump, without spikes or drops in voltage, which usually will mess with the fuel pressures also... Do you run an alternator ?? or just charge the batteries between rounds ??, you need a full 12vts @ the pump always, to maintain proper fuel pressures... Your ignition maybe draining the voltage & robbing the fuel system or something along those lines "MAYBE"... Do you run a hi-flow fuel filter before the fuel pump to keep crap out of it & after the fuel pump also ??, to keep crap out of the carbs... I run Quickfuel/Holley style carbs but use, typically 7psi flowing & always use a Bypass style fuel regulator, with a line flowing back to the tank, carrying fuel the engine doesn't use, back to the tank/cell... It also helps keeps the fuel pump cooler & carbs fed much better, with a constant 7psi of free flowing fuel {less psi on a Carter/Edelbrock/Weber maybe} feeding the carbs... for Dual carbs I suggest something like, #10A/N {5/8"} pick-up supplied to the 1st filter, then to the fuel pump, then to the regulator {pretty close to the carbs if possible & by-pass style preferably} & #8A/N {1/2"} feeding the carbs is usually about normal minimum required sizes, then have a gauge inline, close to the carbs to get an accurate fuel pressure reading @ the carbs, larger size fuel lines & better pump, if need be... I run all Aeromotive & Quickfuel stuff myself & have had great luck with it, no issues ever... I hope some of this helps

what size pick-up in the cell/tank ?? what size/style fuel lines are you running ?? the 280gpm should be enough if set up properly... I wonder if inertia may be part of the problem, or fuel running away from the pick-up in the tank/cell, or maybe fuel running back to the tank, but that's usually also on or just after the launch too, not just on top end... Do you have a relay installed for you electric fuel pump wiring & power supply ??, so you will always get a constant 12vts @ the pump, without spikes or drops in voltage, which usually will mess with the fuel pressures also... Do you run an alternator ?? or just charge the batteries between rounds ??, you need a full 12vts @ the pump always, to maintain proper fuel pressures... Your ignition maybe draining the voltage & robbing the fuel system or something along those lines "MAYBE"... Do you run a hi-flow fuel filter before the fuel pump to keep crap out of it & after the fuel pump also ??, to keep crap out of the carbs... I run Quickfuel/Holley style carbs but use, typically 7psi flowing & always use a Bypass style fuel regulator, with a line flowing back to the tank, carrying fuel the engine doesn't use, back to the tank/cell... It also helps keeps the fuel pump cooler & carbs fed much better, with a constant 7psi of free flowing fuel {less psi on a Carter/Edelbrock/Weber maybe} feeding the carbs... for Dual carbs I suggest something like, #10A/N {5/8"} pick-up supplied to the 1st filter, then to the fuel pump, then to the regulator {pretty close to the carbs if possible & by-pass style preferably} & #8A/N {1/2"} feeding the carbs is usually about normal minimum required sizes, then have a gauge inline, close to the carbs to get an accurate fuel pressure reading @ the carbs, larger size fuel lines & better pump, if need be... I run all Aeromotive & Quickfuel stuff myself & have had great luck with it, no issues ever... I hope some of this helps

sounds real theoretical budnicks and yes what you said is correct but im going by real life experience using a BG pump and regulator. I had the same problem,
I switched to a product engineering fuel pump and regulator with return up at the regulator and problem solved.
Why go to the track spend $300.00+ and have a wasted day or spend the money once and be done with it.
I have a new product engineering pump and regulator new for sale. I always keep a spare in my trailer.
Even magnafuel is better than those BG POS pumps.

Attachments

• HEMI FINISHED IN CAR 012.jpg
    HEMI FINISHED IN CAR 012.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 349
  • NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 001.jpg
    NEW BLACK FUEL HOSES.16 VOLT BATTERY 001.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Trunk and battery Pictures hemi and 65 coronet blue 018.jpg
    Trunk and battery Pictures hemi and 65 coronet blue 018.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 340
  • Trunk and battery Pictures hemi and 65 coronet blue 014.jpg
    Trunk and battery Pictures hemi and 65 coronet blue 014.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 347
I went 9.36 @145 last weekend at Bowling Green in 90 degree weather. I run a Barry Grant 4 port. I've noticed the fuel PSI reading 4 psi at times and 6 psi at times. It performs the same with either reading. Not sure if the regulator is the issue or the fuel pressure gauge isolator. I would think if it really had 4 psi performance would suffer. I run a Performance Engineering pump w/ -12 to the pump and -10 to the regulator. (4) -6 feeds to the 750 Eddy carbs.
Doug

Carb issue

I'm running a +.06 flattop 4.150 stroke with a .660 roller with 2 800 thunders with a 440-25 intake I'm have trouble with my fuel pressure dropping off to 3 or 4 PSI after I get it in drive. Running 6.345 in the 1/8 @ 108MPH with a 1.414 60 ft., 10.09 in 1/4 I one have a single line feeding each Edelbrock 800 do I need to feed the carbs dual line and what fuel pressure are you guys running. I presently running a Barry grant 280 I'm planning on putting a BG 400 4 port regulator to "fix" the problem, Any thoughts

Brian

Evidently I'm doing something right with my set up. Only using 750 Eddys, a Holley blue pump worth Holley regulator. Run -8 from my sumped stock tank to the reg. and then -6 to each carb. Has constant 8 lbs. fuel pressure and never drops. Totally old school.
Has been a best of 10.18@ 134.07 mph. Have a little more cam, zero
deck piston and bigger stroke.
Sometimes more expensive parts don't necessarily equate to superior performance...just sayin

:thumbsup:I got no idea what i'm talking about.:head_smack: disregard my posts.

:thumbsup:I got no idea what i'm talking about.:head_smack: disregard my posts.

You make excellent points on how your set up works. Notice that others have some concerns with the BG stuff. I don't use any if it as in the past its left me hanging.
I use the HOLLEY stuff with good results and offered my 2 cents to BISHOP as an alternative to what's he is presently using. :fish::grin:

I've used a Holley on my blown street car for years w/o issue. I used the BG on the racecar because I had got it in a trade for noting. I've taken it apart. It looks to be well made. I know people knock them but I've seen them still on a lot of cars faster than mine.
Doug

I run two Holly black pumps with a Holley cheap regulator
No issues here and I'm in high altitude
from what I've heard Barry grant regulators are not very reliable

Auto Transport Service
Back