• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NV3500 In B-Body

Cool, thanks for the knowledge. I'll be on the hunt for a dakota donor. You gave me all I need to know.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress...

for my 360la and nv3500 project ive decided the pilot shaft does not go up into the crank far enough to use the old style pilot bushing. I will be trying to get the magnum bushing onto the back of my crank or make something..

for my 360la and nv3500 project ive decided the pilot shaft does not go up into the crank far enough to use the old style pilot bushing. I will be trying to get the magnum bushing onto the back of my crank or make something..

Thats good to know.

the magnum pilot bearing looks like it will fit the 360la crank end where the tourgue converter connects up.

How will you connect or get a speedometer setup on the nv3500??

Ahhhhh, I though the new hemi's were orange? You know that orange paint is worth another 100hp.......

kb67, can we get an update on this swap ? How has it been holding up to the 5.7 ? I'm heavily considering this swap behind my 318 and wonder how you like the throw of the shifter ? Did anything ever come of the questionable 1-2 synchro's ?

Thanks for the write up, it's answered a lot of questions.

kb67, can we get an update on this swap ? How has it been holding up to the 5.7 ? I'm heavily considering this swap behind my 318 and wonder how you like the throw of the shifter ? Did anything ever come of the questionable 1-2 synchro's ?

Thanks for the write up, it's answered a lot of questions.
So I learned last year that trans I swapped in was just plain wore out. Those synchros and eventually led to a vibration. So Last year I swapped in another with only 36k miles on it. I love the trans in the car. The only thing I should probably adjust is where my slave cylinder bolts to my clutch pedal so that I get a longer throw on the clutch. The trans seems to be holding up fine so far. I guess you could say I killed one already but I honestly feel that was just pure wear.

I have that one here you could rebuild if you want it, I would give it to a good home.

Thanks, but probably not worth shipping.

How would you rate the shifter throw ? Does it seem short enough for a car ? It's been a minute since i've driven a Dakota with a manual, and can't remember how "truck like" the shift was.

Thanks, but probably not worth shipping.

How would you rate the shifter throw ? Does it seem short enough for a car ? It's been a minute since i've driven a Dakota with a manual, and can't remember how "truck like" the shift was.
I can't say it bothers me at all. If that seems to be an issue for you just get a short throw shifter for it. I know someone makes one as I have seen it for sale.

Cool. Now i wonder if the shifter will come thru in the correct spot for my factory console.

I had a couple questions today about this from another. I figure I'd say I put on 13,000 miles on my car after the build. Never had any major issues aside from the wore out transmission. After putting the lower mileage trans in, it was great. Sold the car earlier this year, but all in all, I'd do it again.

After seeing this post I did the same swap in my car. 1970 Plymouth satellite. 318 with a 904 3speed that was shot.
2.73 8-1/4 rear end.

Donor truck was a 2003 Dakota v6 extended cab long bed. I say this because I was about to use the one piece driveshaft from the truck and it fit perfectly! Just needed a conversion u joint.

I purchased the cheapest flywheel for a 3.9 I could find as well as a stage 3 eBay clutch kit. Also used the pilot bearing for a 5.2 magnum I believe.

I shortened the shifter about 4” and added an ballshifter knob.

Used the hydro clutch system out of the truck as well with no modifications.

Only cutting I had to do was a 4x6 hole for the shifter. Torsionbar crossmember stayed in one piece. I also fabricated a trans crossmember out of some 3/16” sheet metal and angle iron I had. (I plan to buy a stronger one in the near future)

Took a 700 mile road trip after the swap. No driveline vibrations, cruzed at 85mph 2000rpm and got 18mpg with the clapped out 318.

I ended up doing the swap for $800 total.
$300 for the clutch petal assy
$120 for the trans and driveshaft from a local pick your part.
$250 for a new flywheel and clutch
$40 sifter ball
$90 misc parts

I am now swapping in a built 360magnum with about 450hp. Not sure how the trans will hold up.. but I’m sure I’ll blow the little 8-1/4 rear end first. I am planning on putting a Ford 9” with 3.23s or 3.55s in next winter. Speedway motors has a deal that can’t be beat.

I figure I can pick a new trans in th junkyard for $100 quite a few times before it would be more expensive than a TKO..

9D44C511-C0EC-4BFD-90AF-5124AFEEBB2F.jpeg
E695C3B7-06F4-4824-815D-1FFFB97A7103.jpeg
7E67C44D-9729-4055-8F6E-21977EA86817.jpeg
6374623C-0403-4BB9-A39F-957FF9B4FD6E.jpeg
79F0C938-683D-46D6-9630-52476DD821B9.jpeg
D89A6D85-6D00-4DB5-B54F-E77A9D3125BA.jpeg
BE9B43D5-3ECB-493F-BEE6-203E22899AC8.jpeg

Looks great!! glad to see I inspired someone to try it. Let us know how it holds up to your power level. I never broke mine, sold the car now though.

Auto Transport Service
Back