• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nylon cable on a winch?

bigbluedodge

Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
Just purchased a new enclosed trailer for my Dodge and it doesn't have an escape door, so I have to install a winch. I've looked at several winches that would do the job and a couple have nylon cable instead of steel.

This is attractive to me.....not having to wear gloves or get stabbed by broken strands, but has anyone had any experience with this type of cable? Good or bad?

Bryand

Boat trailers usually use nylon rope due to water. Weight capacity may be a problem

For pulling a rolling car into a trailer, it should work fine, as long as you get a weight rated, sturdy type. I used to crank a 7000# Cuddy cabin onto a roller trailer, No Problems...

Last edited:
I've seen cable covered with a rope weave is possible it's that? It looks just like rope. Nylon would stretch an awful lot.
EDIT: Yes its nylon no cable. Or another synthetic material.

Last edited:
I have one. Just like a wire rope cable, you have to protect the rope from rubbing on things and fraying. More so, I'd say with the rope but if you are disciplined it is not a problem. The only negative thing I have to say compared to a wire rope winch is that under a very heavy load it can imbed the line into the spool a little and then can be hard to pull back out.

I would recommend a nylon webbing winch, if you can find one, with ample length and weight capacity. I have this set up on my boat trailer. The webbing always lays flat, it unwinds easily and it never binds.

I have a Superwinch 45 SR mounted in my enclosed trailer. Never any issues with the nylon cable. I load a '68 Dart and a '65 Belvedere.
I do wish the hand held switch had a longer cable.

If you use synthetic winch line and keep spooled tight no stretch and no bind

I know a guy in NJ that uses a 40 ton Grove stick crane for tree work and all he uses is rope, no cable. Just as with a cable, the rope needs to be certified and inspected regularly.

download (24).jpg

i had one on my superwinch 4500 for about 5 years. i also had a cheapo harbor freight remote switch on my winch. i never really noticed wear on the cable till i had a problem with the remote switch stopping and starting. my car got to the ramp door but got stuck. i was walking to push the car and the winch remote turned on and let slack in the cable. the car started down the ramp and snap! the cable broke. i was very lucky my car was headed right to a tree thirty feet away. i ran and dove on what was left of the cable and was able to get it stopped less than a foot from the tree. upon review of the cable it snapped where it drug on the trailer floor going in and out. i now have a steel cable and better remote switch set up. i say if you have one and it touches anything going in and out of the trailerkeep a eye on it.

Just purchased a new enclosed trailer for my Dodge and it doesn't have an escape door, so I have to install a winch. I've looked at several winches that would do the job and a couple have nylon cable instead of steel.

This is attractive to me.....not having to wear gloves or get stabbed by broken strands, but has anyone had any experience with this type of cable? Good or bad?

Bryand
Ran dyneema 10,000 lb rope on a winch for years.
The only upkeep is to rinse in hot soapy water
about once every six months to wash the
dirt out of it. Also be very careful and not
pull over any sharp edges. You'll also like
the manageability and light weight.
Image03302013174857.jpg

Forgot to mention that its best to run nylon
rollers in the fairlead also.

Last edited:
I have a atv superwinch in my enclosed with the "synthetic" cable, as they call it. I believe its 3500 lbs rated, which is perfect for rolling weight. Even if I pick up a beater with a locked wheel, it will pull it up. Getting it out is another story!
We also use a large 12k unit in my work enclosed trailer, nylon cable also, and that gets used many times a week. That one is probably 4 years old, and not a single fray or issue. I really like them.
If you are familiar with fishing at all, the rope is similar to Spyderwire line, bundled into many strands.

I recently considered changing my steel rope to dyneema on my warn winch. I decided to stick to steel just because I pull a lot off stumps and trees and the rope rubs against sharp stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back