• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Filter Change

skyman51

Reaction score
What is the preferred method of changing the oil filter and putting oil in it before screwing it on when it is horizintal and not vertical?

I don't understand. It looks to me like you answered your question with the question you asked.

What I meant was how do you put oil in the filter and then screw it on without spilling it out all over the place?

Oh. Just don't fill it completely. If it is that bothersome to you......and if we're talkin about the Hemi here, I understand, then fill the filter partially, then when you fill the engine, just disable the ignition and spin the engine until you show some oil pressure. That way the filter will be full before it fires.

That might be how you have to do it at all.....cause if the filter has absolutely NO forward tilt, you just about cannot put any oil in it. Have you thought about maybe jacking up the rear of the car? That might allow you to put a little in it. If it was mine, I'd just spin it on dry, disable the ignition, spin it till it fills and fire it off. Won't hurt a thing.

I have never 'pre-filled' an oil filter prior to installation...in my entire life. I have owned some vehicles for as long as 20+ years and never have had an issue with any of them. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time? :dontknow: Just can't imagine a filled, or partially filled filter is the difference between life and death of the engine...just my $0.02.

I don't think "not" filling the filter is doing it wrong. skyman51 just happens to have a really high end car and I think he was looking for the best way to assure his engine would not run the least bit dry at startup.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thread, btw skyman......after I figured out what you were askin. lol

What is the preferred method of changing the oil filter and putting oil in it before screwing it on when it is horizintal and not vertical?

I have a bunch of speedy dry on standby...40 + years and I still make a mess...

I have never 'pre-filled' an oil filter prior to installation...in my entire life. I have owned some vehicles for as long as 20+ years and never have had an issue with any of them. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all this time? :dontknow: Just can't imagine a filled, or partially filled filter is the difference between life and death of the engine...just my $0.02.

I come from adifferent school. I have been filling oil filters with oil before starting since 1967. I just don't remember many horizontal ones.

I come from adifferent school. I have been filling oil filters with oil before starting since 1967. I just don't remember many horizontal ones.

I tend to agree. I like filling them too when it's possible. You cannot do it on a slant 6 at all. So I always disabled the ignition and spin um over till I get oil pressure. That will probably work fine for you too.

I will fill a vertical filter before i install it just because it's easy and I like to see the oil pressure come up right away. On my 440, I don't bother trying to put any oil in the filter because I can't get enough in there to make much difference. As long as the engine is completely warmed up before the oil and filter is changed, I don't see it as a problem. The bearings, cylinder walls, etc. will have a good film of oil on them until the oil pressure comes up. Hydraulic lifters might rattle a little when you fire it up, but it wont hurt them.

I dont think it's any different than if the car sits for a couple of weeks between starts. Like rusty said, pull the wire and turn it over till you see some oil pressure. It's the same procedure i use on all of my gas powered toys and tools.

Back