• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Trans Gear Got Chewed Up

boboh1

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
Dropped my transmission pan to change the oil and filter. Found little chunks of plastic at the bottom. Took out the speedometer gear and several teeth were missing. Any idea what could have caused this so my new one won’t suffer the same fate? IMG_2756.jpeg

It was not installed correctly. The gear is positioned and installed by the amount of teeth it has.

As Pnora said, installed wrong.... Or the speedometer cable/head is seized..

Just to clarify, the pinion gear housing has to be clocked according to how many teeth are on the gear. There are three position and the positions are marked on the outside of the housing. There is a small dot on the transmission housing that must line up with a small notch for each setting.

Back of the gear should show the number of teeth, yellow looks to be 33 teeth so the middle position as shown above...

IMG_20200422_164343614.jpg

Thanks so much. I never knew about the positioning and I guess the guy before me didn’t either. Mine has 33 teeth so will install accordingly.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a good practice to make sure the cable & speedo head turn freely.... Just use the old gear, slip it on to the square end of the cable and try spinning it, it should spin with light resistance..

Auto Transport Service
Back