• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil in valley pan, lots of it

marcs35ply

Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
my first post, and a dumb one. I have a 75 power wagon, bought it in 85 from 1st owner. Here's my problem the truck was reuilt 20 years ago. For 16 years I didn't drive the truck that much. 4 years ago I retired. So now, it's my daily. now I've got all kinds of oil in the valley pan. I checked the valve covers, all tight. So I pulled them, all gaskits solid and 1 piece. HELP thanks

You've got a seal problem on the valley pan, PCV could do it,But you still got an intake leak somewhere.

well then I would say your intake is fine. Any loose hoses that are dipping oil around the carb? maybe from pcv

Wipe the valley pan down and see what happens in a couple days.

any oil on the air filter?

My bet is on oil coming up the intake manifold bolt threads.
Mike

Oil can wick up the intake bolts sometimes. Remove each bolt and put some sealant on each one.

Blow-by can push oil out of all kinds of places. The corners of the valley pan where the heads meet the block can be especially pesky. I would look at the end-rail bolts as well, they can wick oil like the intake bolts.

A few weeks ago I pulled my cast six pack off. Had a small puddle on the pan. Port areas were dry but the crossovers had some oil. Sorry, I wiped it dry before these pictures were taken, but I do believe that's where my puddle came from. I'm thinking head gasket design, the part that hangs off the block below the crossover, tends to hold oil and can contribute.
FWIW, I did not seal the bolt holes.
upload_2020-10-2_8-26-22.png

upload_2020-10-2_8-28-36.png

Lol, a little clean up and fresh paint for the 50 yo.
upload_2020-10-2_9-15-30.png

I'm not sure how a bolt "wicks" oil. I'll have to hang a bolt in a bucket of oil and see if the top of it gets oily.

How does the oil wicking up the bolt exit out the bolt hole between the air tight sealed intake manifold/pan gasket/head?

How come only some bolts on some motors wick oil?

It seems to me that if oil ends up on top of the pan, in can only get there if there is an intake leak.

Last time took this position on this subject over the majority (which seems to happen on most subjects more often than not) I got a little shinged, but that's okay.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how a bolt "wicks" oil. I'll have to hang a bolt in a bucket of oil and see if the top of it gets oily.

How does the oil wicking up the bolt exit out the bolt hole between the air tight sealed intake manifold/pan gasket/head?

How come only some bolts on some motors wick oil?

It seems to me that if oil ends up on top of the pan, in can only get there if there is an intake leak.

Last time took this position on this subject over the majority (which seems to happen on most subjects more often than not) I got a little shinged, but that's okay.
C'mon BSB, a little crankcase pressure pushing everything up(?) It happens.

Good. It doesnt wick. Now answer the other question.

Auto Transport Service
Back