• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Kills Horsepower

Sweet5ltr

Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
To everyone running a 4.15"-4.25" stroke and 8-quarts of oil. Engine Masters lost well over 30-horsepower just by overfilling by a quart or so with a 4" stroke, big-block Chevy using a deep sump pan. Many are under the assumption, larger oil pans are for increased oil capacity, but truthfully, the larger oil pans have always been about getting the oil level farther away from the crank and reducing windage. This is a preview, but that is the gist of the episode on Motortrendondemand.

You have to have enough In the pan so you don't suck air at any point in the run. The rest isn't necesary in a drag race application. The dipstick in my pan is calibrated to actual level in the pan. Not how much was poured into the engine. 10 qt pan. With the level at 6.5 qts, no issue to 7400. With 6.0 qts the gauge will drop from 70 to 50 on a hard braking through the lights. You dont kmow how low you can go until you test. A dipstick is a MUST. in my opinion.
Doug

cannot imagine no dipstick...on my driver '63
IMG_20171020_131513[1].jpg

no stick....
IMG_20171020_131120[1].jpg

What are you dipsticks (users) using for a dipstick on the Mopar Mega blocks?

No, my Mega block is a tapped 1/8" NPT hole & now is too small for a standard dipstick. I should have drilled out the 1/8" NPT to a stock OEM size to run a factory style dipstick tube but I didn't. I may make my own using a 1/8" NPT compression fitting and some tubing to make the outer tube & narrow the factory dipstick indicator to slide into the tube.

No, my Mega block is a tapped 1/8" NPT hole & now is too small for a standard dipstick. I should have drilled out the 1/8" NPT to a stock OEM size to run a factory style dipstick tube but I didn't. I may make my own using a 1/8" NPT compression fitting and some tubing to make the outer tube & narrow the factory dipstick indicator to slide into the tube.
factory dip stick tube is 3/8" tubing. should be able to run a 3/8" drill thru the hole and be good to go.

I don't think this is an apples for apples comparison for all applications. chevy oil pumps don't work like mopar pumps plus they're v-blocks and half the rotating assembly is near the sump. adding capacity is about not running out of oil at higher rpm. after that the issue becomes keeping the oil out of windage and proper drain back.

I don't think this is an apples for apples comparison for all applications. chevy oil pumps don't work like mopar pumps plus they're v-blocks and half the rotating assembly is near the sump. adding capacity is about not running out of oil at higher rpm. after that the issue becomes keeping the oil out of windage and proper drain back.
Agree w/ this post^^^^^^^^^*************************************************
an aftermarkert flexable tube dipstick that I used, 'because I couldn't get a stock dipstick tube to fit w/ my headers" , came w/ a cable instead of a flat stick. Works well, and could probably work w/ that threaded compression fitting . If I were going to drill a hole out for one, I `d use a few .000 smaller drill bit, because of wobble by the driller. Too big a hole and you`d have another problem.

Yes, but how many quarts are actually necessary with a standard oiling system to run 6,000 RPM through the traps without encountering oil starvation? If anyone else has Motortrendondemand, the video actually shows with a slightly under-capacity oiling system holding greater oil pressure throughout WOT, which would be a benefit, along with adding horsepower. My guess is, less oil aeration = more power = increased oil pressure. The difference is fairly significant from the best fill to worst at 30-horsepower, that's like a camshaft change from simply adding a quart over rated capacity.

I have a flat bottom top fuel dragster pan & the Milodon external dual oil line. It is a 10 quart pan (plus 1 for the filter). We ran 10 quarts in the engine on dyno & all was good. Spun it up to 8100 with no oil pressure issues. Now with all of this discussion about oil amounts & levels got me thinking maybe I should add a dipstick. Since it usually gets changed before every outing at the track I always know it is fresh & full.

On my MeGA block the factory tube location was useless. The stick hit the bottom of the pan that was actually above the static oil level. Ended up weldin a bung in the kickout. Welded a small tab to the bottom of the tube. A screw through the tab and little RTV around the hole.
Doug

You can also weld 1/2 of a 1/8" pipe coupling to the side of the oil pan (below oil level) and install a 1/8" NPT X 3/8"-90* brass fitting. By the flared-invert style or compression and use 3/8" tubing for the housing. Grab any old dip stick and cut to length and calibrate to your desires. The tubing can be contoured to clear any obstacles you must go past. I think you can buy gasketed, double nutted fittings to fit in a drilled hole in the pan to eliminate blemishing the pan finish also.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back