• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan recommendations for street/strip 70 b body

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
I am running a stock k member. 440 source recommends a 6 qt hemi type pan. I like the capacity and looks of the Milodon 7 qt, and 440 source has a nice looking fabricated aluminum 8qt pan…however they are 7” deep.

Am I asking for trouble with that low of an oil pan on stock suspension and k member?

Milodon also has a road race pan with a depth of 5.5”. Is that the ultimate better way to go?

8CD2975A-846A-46C3-B5EC-D8B939CA730C.jpeg

9C480499-D284-461B-B05F-285E4D2FFC8C.png

I run the 7 quart Milodon without any issue but I am careful.
The 440 source pans I have used all fit terrible!!

What are you going to do with the car ? Street use, Hemi pan is fine. Drag racing or prolonged high-RPM, I'd use the biggest pan I could.
In any case, a windage tray or scraper is a good idea.
I've run the deep 8-quart Milodon pan on several BBs - in early Bs, '68 RR, & A-bodies - and never hit them on anything. Most of those cars sit/sat at stock or lower front height.
I don't like drain plugs at the bottom face, though: saw a guy clean one off on a bump and it drained the pan almost immediately.

I am running the Milodon road/race pan on my Bee. Had to put a dent in it to clear the steering linkage on one corner. Also one of the factory welds leaked. Had to remove it and send it back to them. They rewelded and recoated it in their gold finish.

The aluminum 8 at from 440 source looks nice, I just wasn’t sure about that low of a pan. For $250 I’ll give it a shot.

If you want a stock look and good clearance go with the 6 quart hemi pan from various vendors.
I have the 440 Source version and while it's probably chinese, it fits and clears just fine.
It's a ******* oil pan. The chinese have been stamping steel pots and pans for decades. :p

Moroso 20760 7 quart deep sump, this winter it replaced the decades old version that wasn’t notched for center link clearance. I’m pretty sure they are the same part number.

008EC288-AF02-4F97-A0BD-C0AA6BBEC00E.jpeg

Moroso 20760 7 quart deep sump, this winter it replaced the decades old version that wasn’t notched for center link clearance. I’m pretty sure they are the same part number.

View attachment 1448736
Wish i had this version of the Moroso pan. My pan is an old version, without the notch.

I just installed the other 440 for my 1970 RR, and learned that center link is hitting pan at full turn.

Will have to modify the pan or get a new one.

Moroso pan_2.jpg

Moroso pan_1.jpg

This happened yesterday. Had to take evasive action because of an inattentive driver in front of me. Hole is in back by drain plug. Luckly I was only about 1/2 mile from home. Lost oil pressure as I was pulling into garage. If I had a stock type pan I would have been ok. So I'm going with the 6 quart Mancinni or 440 source. Don't know if Mancinni is worth the extra money or not

oil pan 2.jpg

oil pan 4.jpg

Stock '70 6 qut Hemi/6 pac good unless high rpm track race car.
That is my thought as well. I have used a few from 440 Source with no issues, and they are reasonably priced.

max wedge oil pan with a 2 1/2" plate added which now holds 8 qts right at the baffles. 7" deep with a milodon swinging pick up..this is whats in my car now.

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

Well, I ordered the 8 qt fabricated aluminum pan from 440 source. I noticed initially that there was some slag from the weld near the drain plug. Basically the drain plug goes right against it. When I tried to mock it up, the holes didn’t seem to line up for the pan studs. I then noticed it doesn’t sit flat. The rail is warped, I’m sure from too much heat while welding.

I like the concept for sure. They say they test fit each pan prior to shipping, but this seems a bit too far off for me. I did reach out and they are willing to take a return for 100% store credit.

Try another or is it time for Milodon? It’s a bit more, but id assume they fit perfect.

By warped I mean 1/4” nearly, or 1/8” on each side with a high point in the center. Either way it’s not flat.

B6820665-4D9F-4BF2-9C30-63B199C980E0.jpeg

7CDA8BBC-AE82-45A9-9CD6-E3BD604EC7CC.jpeg

C463E49D-12C1-4680-94C3-4CD76E7A2C23.jpeg

ED11F4BD-68B2-48B1-97D0-EC488DB40564.jpeg

9A7935DB-B346-43CC-AB2C-CC986E10367F.jpeg

27910890-6EA6-46FA-9B14-4C015C747F62.jpeg

Milodon is best, the deep pan with kickouts is solid I run that on the street. Frank must have hit the milodon very hard in one spot to get it to dent that badly mine just has a few scratches from the road. The road race pan looks good though with the added ground clearance I would consider it for another build.

I use the Milodon street Hemi pan on my Savoy because it sits kinda low in the front. The Milodon 6 qt. pan has more baffles in it than the other pans from various vendors.

oil pan.jpg

I use the Milodon street Hemi pan on my Savoy because it sits kinda low in the front. The Milodon 6 qt. pan has more baffles in it than the other pans from various vendors.

View attachment 1457387
Does anyone have pics of this pan in a B body? I have a '69 Coronet I'm swapping in a 440 with the original 318 K frame and concerned with clearance.

Does anyone have pics of this pan in a B body? I have a '69 Coronet I'm swapping in a 440 with the original 318 K frame and concerned with clearance.
I don't have a picture of the pan in my 64 Savoy but it still has the factory slant 6 K frame and it's pretty close with only enough clearance to fit my fingertips between the frame front of the pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back