• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan suggestion

miller

Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Gonna stop banging my head on the wall. Looking for any hints.

64 Sport Fury. Stock BB K-frame. 440 going in the hole (Just another 440 post).

I'm looking at a 1/2" hemi pickup tube, since I needed to clear the rust out of the port. Prefer finding a 5-6 quart pan, but don't know the drop on that pickup. The bent one.

Any suggestions? Kinda curious, have looked at one or two that will fit a 65 up. Is the 65 K member different? Yeah, gonna research.

Thanks for any ideas!

I have a racing buddy that is heavy into 64 Dodges. He is giving me ideas for my 65 Belvedere. According to him, any of the pans will work. He notches his K frames slightly on the passenger side (just for insurance) but he says it isn't really necessary. I am going with a Moroso 7 quart pan in my Belvedere.

No...K-member is same. Why a pan listed would fit a 65, but not a 64. Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

Already looked at Summit's P5007807AB. Gonna look again...probably be the one.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we having fun, yet??

No...K-member is same. Why a pan listed would fit a 65, but not a 64. Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

Already looked at Summit's P5007807AB. Gonna look again...probably be the one.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we having fun, yet??

I'm not 100% sure about what I'm about to tell you here since I'm not in the engine building phase yet of my project. But this may help you ask certain questions that you otherwise wouldn't ask....

I've bought a dozen or so real MW parts from a really nice retired gentleman in Calif. who is a drag racer and restorer of early B bodies. He told me this re big block oil pans for the 64 Polara I'm restoring: "The pan has a indentation in the bottom to miss the crossmember and an expanded area at each end to clear the crankshaft for a 440 426 type crank. The other big block pans off of 361 383 type motors do not have that clearance for the crank."

I ended up buying a very good, used BB oil pan from Tony's Parts in Delaware that will be correct for my build.

I got one from 440 source for my 63 fit perfect and it is seven quart

As a followup, here's a few pic's of what was recommended to me...... 005.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

005.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the responses! You guys are great!!

Sixpacsteve...your pan is a 971? Just don't see the number on it.
Lol. I'll look into it. Understand all your saying.

Miller, the orange pan is a stock BB pan for 64 /65. Yes the 62 pans didnt come with the clearance bulges. 63's came with smaller ones.
I have a 64 pan available.

Thanks a bunch for the responses! You guys are great!!

Sixpacsteve...your pan is a 971? Just don't see the number on it.
Lol. I'll look into it. Understand all your saying.

Hi Miller,

If I recall correctly, the orange one in the pics I posted and the one I ended up buying from Tony's Parts that looks just like it didn't have a number on them. It sounds though that Mr. Chignikred has just what you need if you want to stay with original, or as Mr. Mosquito13 suggested, you can go aftermarket via Summit Racing. You can also check Tony's Parts via his website to see what he might have available. He's in Delaware & deals mostly in NOS and good used parts and his website is pretty easy to navigate.

I'm going to Carlisle on Friday, so if Tony has something to your liking and can have it there that day I'd be glad to pick it up for you. ~ Steve

I use the Moroso 7 qt pan on my 63 Sport Fury. I have the stock K-frame and it fits good as I did not have to modify anything. I know my front end is up a tad in this pic but you can still see it has plenty of road clearence. Its been on the car since 2006 and has never hit at all. Ron

capitol11-6.jpg

Do yourself a favor and trim the inner lip. Especially the pass side front corner. Trim the lip, reweld the gap. Trust me you will be happier.
Doug

Here is an original Max Wedge pan,no clearance bulges.

Attachments

• Picture 096.jpg
    Picture 096.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 646
Do yourself a favor and trim the inner lip. Especially the pass side front corner. Trim the lip, reweld the gap. Trust me you will be happier.
Doug

Totally agree. Just needed minimal clearancing for the 7 quart 440 Source pan I used.

Great pan and pickup with an awesome price!

Miller, the orange pan is a stock BB pan for 64 /65. Yes the 62 pans didnt come with the clearance bulges. 63's came with smaller ones.
I have a 64 pan available.

Wow! I sure do appreciate the responses. Thanks, guys.

Yeah on the orange pan. It's one of the 'un-numbered' 971s. Though if I remember right, the mentioned Mopar pans are mostly 4 quart. Since I had to open my block to 1/2", felt a bit more was needed.

Anyway, after re-checking parts and pieces on 62-65s, and reading one pan report that the P5007807 does fit 64s, ordered one. It's a 5 quart pan (6 w/filter), that's more in line with what I'm looking for, including good ground clearance.
We shall see. Also ordered a P5249817 1/2" pickup, that will mate with the pan depth (5.25").
Both are Mopar performance parts.

Again, much thanks!!

62max...you are one fortunate gent!

For what it's worth, got the P5007807 pan. If I see things right (and going by Sixpacsteve's photos), it's a 'revised' 971 pan. Even has the stamped 971 on it. But, at the front right corner of the pot, it is re-shaped with a chamfered corner, that might be the clearance needed at the K-member. (Still waiting on the Hemi pickup, so no work on the block.)

Might put a pic up. At any rate, like it makes any dif now, will probably bolt the pan to the block, with my 727, and slip it in the hole. That will tell the story. Wish I had a third hand!

Here's photos of the P5007807 pan...pan 1.JPGpan 2.JPG

As you can see, front of the pot has been rounded at the corners, the pass side having more shape.
But, dropping the thing in the hole, will tell the real deal. I'll check it soon. Kinda busy rubbing on parts.

Here's photos of the P5007807 pan, bare block w/ trans bolted up...all three mounts in place.

pan clearance 1.jpgpan clearance 2.jpgpan baffles.jpg

Plenty of clearance! In the last pic, you can see the baffles (actually one piece), and the 971 numbers. Good to go.
Only issue I'm looking at is the 1/2 inch pickup. Gets into the baffle, about 1/8", that I'll just trim out the baffle for clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back