• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure gauge issue

Take a jumper wire with you. Next time when the Gauge reads zero leave the car running. Make sure the mechanical gauge is showing pressure. Then attach the jumper to the sender wire. Leave the plug on the sender and ground the other end of the jumper. The gauge should peg. If it does it is a sender problem. If it does not its an electrical problem. Can you post a picture of your sending unit set up?

Take a jumper wire with you. Next time when the Gauge reads zero leave the car running. Make sure the mechanical gauge is showing pressure. Then attach the jumper to the sender wire. Leave the plug on the sender and ground the other end of the jumper. The gauge should peg. If it does it is a sender problem. If it does not its an electrical problem. Can you post a picture of your sending unit set up?
i have had this problem for years with my 70 roadrunner oil guage. i stumbled on a post here recently. someone said use the auto meter #2241 oil sending unit. i was skeptical ,but ordered it 2 weeks ago. i now have 50 psi when i am going 60 mph compared to the 20 lb my guage has read for atleast 20 years

I've put another "new" sending unit on it. This is currently working. Hopefully it stays that for for awhile.

i have had this problem for years with my 70 roadrunner oil guage. i stumbled on a post here recently. someone said use the auto meter #2241 oil sending unit. i was skeptical ,but ordered it 2 weeks ago. i now have 50 psi when i am going 60 mph compared to the 20 lb my guage has read for atleast 20 years
Did you verify that the new Auto Meter gauge is reading correct and calibrated with mechanical gauge?

Well, here's a little trick that the books won't tell you......

I wanted an oil pressure gauge in my A100....they were an option only, and not many vehicles got them. Most got an Idiot light.
So back in 2010, when I was rebuilding the A100, I took a spare temperature gauge and did a few measurements. I found that apart from the obvious decal difference, there is no physical difference between an Oil and a Temperature gauge.

I traded the Idiot light for a Temperature gauge, and it works perfectly. You need to have some imagination to understand the position in relation to the reading...but it works.

Now, thanks to Tom aka @moparsaver I have a correct oil pressure gauge, which will be fitted in the coming months. I'll be swapping out the odometer also, so it will read in km/hr and not "washing machines/hr" :p

1692914652228.png

Auto Transport Service
Back