• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pressure

I have a 66 Belvedere with non original modified 440. Oil pressure is between 70 and 80Psi when first started, After warm up it drops to 18 or 19PSI @ idle. Should I be concerned?
Thanks, Ken
After my 440 rebuild I had the same oil pressures. I changed the pressure relief spring in the oil pump to a Hemi 426. Oil pressure @ idle approx 15-20. Pressure when cruising approx 50-60psi.

If you recorded actual idle oil pressure in new vehicles you’d have a heart attack.
Exactly, When I got my 2008 Chevy work van new 6.0 ltr, cold oil pressure is 36-38 psi and hot at idle is 8 to 10 psi at most.Annoyed at first thinking things were wrong. But normal I guess. Still driving it.

IMHO we can't compare new/modern motors to the old stuff, oil flow patterns are different, especially true for different brands. Back in the day, a BB Mopar had a very different oil system than a Chev or a Ford. Makes a difference where the oil pressure is measured. Just say'in.

IMHO we can't compare new/modern motors to the old stuff, oil flow patterns are different, especially true for different brands. Back in the day, a BB Mopar had a very different oil system than a Chev or a Ford. Makes a difference where the oil pressure is measured. Just say'in.
In a BB Mopar the oil pressure measuring point is about as far down the line as gets. Only the driver side lifters are beyond the oil gauge port. What difference does the oiling system have to do with lubrication reqired at the crank? Proper lube is the same no matter how it gets there. At idle the load is at its lowest point. Now if your running 30 psi at 5000 then maybe there could be an issue. I've messed around with adjusting oil pressure with RB motors. I can tell you that 45 psi@7000 put a shiny finish on the rod bearings. Not good. Didn't hurt anything but it would've. Same motor 65psi@7200 (5w25oil) and the bearings looked like new at 300 passes. Also for what it's worth. Same motor, changing the bearing clearance from nearly .004" on the rods to .003" didn't affect oil pressure at all.
Doug

But how it get's there makes a difference. How the oil gets to the mains and the rods is not ideal in a BB Mopar. I agree I would not like 45 psi @ 7200. I liked mine at 70 or so. I only played a little bit with different pressures with my external adjustable pump, didn't see much difference. You have more building experience than I do, so I'll take your word.

Auto Transport Service
Back