• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil sending unit plug stripped

hpg4815

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I was trying to install the oil sending until in the block, but the existing plug has stripped. Any suggestions on how to extract it?

Thanks

5CFD5A14-304A-48B2-8302-7E31072404C6.jpeg

image.jpg

Weld a nut onto the plug and it will turn right out.

Looks like its broke off in the hole . It thats the case an easy out should work.

If it doesn't leak can you install pressure sender on passenger side? That way you could wait for a better time to remove plug.

If it doesn't leak can you install pressure sender on passenger side? That way you could wait for a better time to remove plug.
Thanks. I see pictures of the sending unit attached to a tee. What is that for? Do I need that or can I just go with the sender?

Will heat damage the valley pan gasket?
No, you are far enough away from it. Only takes a couple of zaps with a mig welder. Or do what Fran suggested and use the other port for now.

I like Fran's idea to just use the other side if you can get it out. The oil sender doesn't care what side it's on. Welding a nut (or bolt) on sound like a fantastic idea. Heat won't hurt a thing if you've got a torch. All those ideas will work.

As far as the "T" you might see in some pictures (and related stuff). "Sometimes" there's a clearance issue between the sending unit and the block (?) or something, especially with an aftermarket sending unit, and you have to space the sending unit up & out of the way with an "oil sending unit extension tube". Also, if you want to keep your factory gauge AND run a mechanical gauge too, you need to put a "T" in there so you can run both gauges.....or tap the mechanical gauge into that other plug Fran suggested you use. It is as simple as it looks.

The other outlet is more than likely bigger. You'll need an adapter. Doing this is taking a chance if the broken off piece decides to spring a leak. Try an easy out. Might have to drill it out for it to fit. Good luck!

Can't see why there'd be a plug in that side. You sure it's not just a snapped off stem from the original sender??.. and if so it's got a restricted hole in it, just like the one in the bag, that's gonna make a huge mess when you fire that engine up!

Can't see why there'd be a plug in that side. You sure it's not just a snapped off stem from the original sender??.. and if so it's got a restricted hole in it, just like the one in the bag, that's gonna make a huge mess when you fire that engine up!
It’s a Allen wrench plug. I see what you are saying, but perhaps they put that plug in when I had the motor rebuilt. Although I wouldn’t expect it to be that tough to get out. Is there any other place the sender can go?

The broke off piece will leak. It’s got a hole in it. Easy-Out or drill and tap. Get it out of there and leave the other port alone.

if your going to use an easy out get the square ones with a blade edge if the walls are thin the twisted ones sometimes just expand the fitting making it tighter!

It’s a Allen wrench plug. I see what you are saying, but perhaps they put that plug in when I had the motor rebuilt. Although I wouldn’t expect it to be that tough to get out. Is there any other place the sender can go?
Drive a tight fitting torx socket into it. Drive it deep and hold down hard when trying to turn it out. I just did this on my Kubota tractor as a last ditch effort and it worked.

follow up on my issue… I was unsuccessful with the smaller oil pressure sending unit plug removal. Ended up going to far over and welding the plug to the engine block. Tried to clean it up so I can try again but decided to move on to the other larger plug on the other side of the small one. It gave me a little trouble at first when the Allen wrench socket broke. So I heated it up some with a torch and cut the bent end off a reagular Allen wrench and put it inside a 1/4 socket on a 3/8 ratchet using a break bar. I was able to slowly turn it out. Since the sending unit does not fit on that side directly, what do I use to extend it? Is the sending unit I have pictured in this thread a mechanical one? I believe not since it takes the female wire connect at the top. I would like to go with the tee so i can add a secondary gauge at the engine just in case the one in my instrument cluster is not working. Any links to the right extension, tee, or secondary gauge would be greatly appreciated.

The sending unit is for a gauge. As far as plumbing go to any hardware store and look at the brass 1/8 and 1/4 npt fittings.

Yep just git er done. Here's the only link I have, but not the only way to do it.
20221230_141101.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back