• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old and new....where does the time go?

RickDGTX

Local time
3:02 AM
Reaction score
Just looking through some random pictures.......I'll bet I'm not the only one here who has stuff like this. These pictures are more-or-less fifty years apart. A 1970 440 SixPack Shaker Challenger, and a 2021 ScatPack Shaker Wide body. As well as a 1953 model slim body and a 2024 not so slim body!! Old Challenger, Young Man.jpegYoung Challenger, Old Man.jpgFunny thing...the old man still likes the same stuff he always did!

Just looking through some random pictures.......I'll bet I'm not the only one here who has stuff like this. These pictures are more-or-less fifty years apart. A 1970 440 SixPack Shaker Challenger, and a 2021 ScatPack Shaker Wide body. As well as a 1953 model slim body and a 2024 not so slim body!!View attachment 1652418View attachment 1652419Funny thing...the old man still likes the same stuff he always did!
1580551-477236d485a64eaed6579d57abbfdbce.jpg
1580552-c0d77001c67f6c799caa3821e662cdf3.jpg

Trying to pull some detail out. Thanks for the pose!

Funny thing...I didn't buy the first Challenger new, but the shaker was orange, and didn't appear to have been repainted. Don't know that I've seen another that color. Did some come that way?
Rick

I know exactly how you feel sir. Bought my first Mopar new in 1978, the year I graduated high school. It wasn’t a Challenger, of course, it was a D150. Owned many new and used Dodge trucks and cars since. I picked up a 93 D150 2 years ago. It isn’t a tin grill, it’s a first gen, which I had many, but I like all the 72-93 trucks, so it’s good. I don’t have any pictures of me with any of them and don’t have pictures of most. I will say, I don’t have any extra weight on me, neither does the truck. Great pictures.

I love those old Dodge trucks. Here's an interesting article about something only Mopar would do with a pickup. https://www.motortrend.com/features/dodge-d100-custom-sports-special-hemi-review/ When I was a kid, I sure wished my dad would buy one as a farm truck, but that never happened, of course. Back in '06, still wishing for a hot rod pickup, I did buy a new SRT10, viper-engined, short bed, short cab, six speed, 4.56 geared, 22 inch wheeled pickup. Again, only Mopar!

And yes, I do know this is a "for B bodies only" site, but since I've had the GTX for 40+ years I hoped I would be forgiven for putting a Challenger on here. Here's another picture from the "sunny slopes of long ago." A kid, a GTX as purchased, and a 1983 Plymouth Gran Fury Arkansas State Police car in the background. We called them "FLUFs," for "fast little ugly....fellers."Rick 3.jpg

I love those old Dodge trucks. Here's an interesting article about something only Mopar would do with a pickup. https://www.motortrend.com/features/dodge-d100-custom-sports-special-hemi-review/ When I was a kid, I sure wished my dad would buy one as a farm truck, but that never happened, of course. Back in '06, still wishing for a hot rod pickup, I did buy a new SRT10, viper-engined, short bed, short cab, six speed, 4.56 geared, 22 inch wheeled pickup. Again, only Mopar!

And yes, I do know this is a "for B bodies only" site, but since I've had the GTX for 40+ years I hoped I would be forgiven for putting a Challenger on here. Here's another picture from the "sunny slopes of long ago." A kid, a GTX as purchased, and a 1983 Plymouth Gran Fury Arkansas State Police car in the background. We called them "FLUFs," for "fast little ugly....fellers."View attachment 1652878

I’ve got a couple pictures of myself and friends in short shorts from back in the eighties and my kids can’t believe that we wore them that short.

Thanks for the article. I knew about them and the Dude. I’ve always wanted an earlier, through 71, but back in the day it was easier to get parts for the later models. Dodge never sold the volume that Ford or Chevy did. I also liked the International pickups, had a couple. Actually took 3, to make 2 in the 80’s. Always liked the cop cars too, especially the old ones. That’s a great looking ride above. Never owned a car, until I bought my wife a new one as a wedding present in 93. Take care!

I’ve got a couple pictures of myself and friends in short shorts from back in the eighties and my kids can’t believe that we wore them that short.
Yeah, that was actually swim trunks. I never wore real shorts like that. Now the girls, on the other hand...........

Welcome to Geezerdom. C’mon man, I’m just happy to still be here.

3BBD7676-62B4-4EEB-8004-8231A9A14235.png

CF843D99-8B29-4B63-98F9-96F95A561DD4.png

Great story and yes, the hair always lightens up doesn’t it?!!!

Me and my 71 GTX in late 1975 or early 76.
Then still playing with cars in 2022.
20200127_191919.jpg
20221223_091400.jpg

1982 Nellis AFB and 2023 starting the restoration. Paid $400 for the car with 4 flat tires and a 68 grill in it.

20210111_163704.jpg

20230311_110448.jpg

20230725_153726.jpg

Just looking through some random pictures.......I'll bet I'm not the only one here who has stuff like this. These pictures are more-or-less fifty years apart. A 1970 440 SixPack Shaker Challenger, and a 2021 ScatPack Shaker Wide body. As well as a 1953 model slim body and a 2024 not so slim body!!View attachment 1652418View attachment 1652419Funny thing...the old man still likes the same stuff he always did!

Thanks for the pics, Rick! Good stuff and I can relate to the "old man still likes the same stuff" statement.

And in my case, the car is STILL the same stuff.

Tom & Super Bee - 1973.jpg

P2250006.JPG

1975' Baby 16 y/o
Budnicks 16 years old summer 1975 -cleaned up-.png

12 years ago still look pretty much the same 64 now
Budnicks (1 me in the mirror Jan 25 2012.JPG

82-ish my 69 RR in piss yella'
Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

piss yella' 446
Budnicks 69 RR 440ci str-6bbl #2.JPG

I'm on RR #13 now "street beast", mostly 8) 68s & 4) 69s & 1) 70,
some 45+ MoPars (not including Jeeps), 12) 8 68s - 4 69s Charger R/Ts,
lots of Power-Wagons/Power-Rams from 74-99, a few Ramchargers 77 - 89
& 3 Dakotas 1) 99 SLT 4x4, 2) R/Ts 98 (street/strip) & 99 DD

bought this one in 2005, photo was 2011
sold my play racecar/street car with plates, running 8.50s @ 156
to a buddy, this one is milder for sure
68 RR #16 Driveway front ds Apr 26 2011 Buddy #1.JPG

68 RR #24 479ci-6bbl org. ps.JPG

2017 to current
68 RR LL1 10-29-2017 #4 PS frt.JPG

still rolling with a 6bbl too

68 RR #30 A-12 6bbl pan & fresh air air-cleaner w-phenolic spacers.JPG

old dog Lord Budnick
Buddy #1 May 23rd 2013 15th B-Day.JPG

New dog Elvis "the king"
you could say I still like all the same things
Elvis 8th Birthday June 3rd 2023 003.JPG

Last edited:
A story....feel free to skip it. In 1969, I turned 16. There was an "old man" in a nearby town who bought a brand-new 1969 GTX. My best Mopar buddy and I thought it was the most beautiful car we'd ever seen, and we just couldn't figure out what the old guy wanted with it. It was bronze or copper colored, a 440 auto with air, road wheels, and it was gorgeous. We figured that he and his wife must have been car shopping, and she said, "Oh, honey, look how pretty that one is. I love the color." We figured they had not a clue what they had. Fast forward...a few years ago his son told me that he (the son) bought a new '69 Super Bee and showed it to his father, who said, "well, what do they make that's got a bigger engine than that?" The son told him. He said the next morning, a Sunday, his dad got a nearby Mopar dealer that was friend of his out of bed to sell him the GTX. So yeah, he knew exactly what he was buying. Years later, we figured out that the "old man" was about 50 when he bought the GTX. My buddy bought one in about 71 or 72, and drove it and raced it for a while. In fact, he had it during the time I had the sixpack Challenger, so we had a lot of fun on and off the strip. My wife (who still rides in the Mopars with me) and I took his GTX on our honeymoon in 1972 because it had air. I later traded a .44 Magnum Marlin carbine and $700 for the GTX that I've now had for over forty years. On a sad note, that lifetime best buddy passed away a few weeks ago, and we carried his ashes to his final resting place. In my GTX. His family thought that would be exactly what he would have wanted. If you've read this far, thanks for letting me share the memories.

A story....feel free to skip it. In 1969, I turned 16. There was an "old man" in a nearby town who bought a brand-new 1969 GTX. My best Mopar buddy and I thought it was the most beautiful car we'd ever seen, and we just couldn't figure out what the old guy wanted with it. It was bronze or copper colored, a 440 auto with air, road wheels, and it was gorgeous. We figured that he and his wife must have been car shopping, and she said, "Oh, honey, look how pretty that one is. I love the color." We figured they had not a clue what they had. Fast forward...a few years ago his son told me that he (the son) bought a new '69 Super Bee and showed it to his father, who said, "well, what do they make that's got a bigger engine than that?" The son told him. He said the next morning, a Sunday, his dad got a nearby Mopar dealer that was friend of his out of bed to sell him the GTX. So yeah, he knew exactly what he was buying. Years later, we figured out that the "old man" was about 50 when he bought the GTX. My buddy bought one in about 71 or 72, and drove it and raced it for a while. In fact, he had it during the time I had the sixpack Challenger, so we had a lot of fun on and off the strip. My wife (who still rides in the Mopars with me) and I took his GTX on our honeymoon in 1972 because it had air. I later traded a .44 Magnum Marlin carbine and $700 for the GTX that I've now had for over forty years. On a sad note, that lifetime best buddy passed away a few weeks ago, and we carried his ashes to his final resting place. In my GTX. His family thought that would be exactly what he would have wanted. If you've read this far, thanks for letting me share the memories.
Good job and a great friend you are. I too turned 16 in 1969.

Auto Transport Service
Back