• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the fence about using electric motor exhaust cut-outs. Any opinions are appreciated.

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
I'm worried about longevity. Any opinions? I'll be using Summit PN# Summit Racing™ Electric Exhaust Cutouts SUM-670003

Chuck (snook)

My son has a cut out on his Truck a 5.0 F150.. It sounds better and he actually picked up 1/2 mile per gallon. His was from Quicktime performance was $480 for the kit when he installed it. Been 3 years no issues..

I'm worried about longevity. Any opinions? I'll be using Summit PN# Summit Racing™ Electric Exhaust Cutouts SUM-670003

Chuck (snook)
Don't go cheap....get Quick Times....like the QTP-QTEC50CP that I use. Four and a half years of use...and lots of sitting time....no issues.

I think they suck , sound crappy, and are a waste of money. Now thats just me.

Last edited:
I think the suck , sound crappy, and are a waste of money. Now thats just me.
I have heard the same exhaust systems on different engines and some sound horrible. IMO it depends on what is pushing the exhaust out for sure as far as what it will sound like...

Interesting that sound comes into this discussion. I am seriously thinking about installing them with a TTI exhaust running off hp manifolds primarily as a way to eliminate the restrictions of somewhat quiet mufflers. I live fairly close to a dragstrip and think it might be fun to run the exhaust "open" if I were to go bracket racing on a Wednesday night. In that circumstance, I don't much care what they sound like.

QTP’s. Long time reliability. Sound killer on the Big Block.

Unless it’s behind a full length header I don’t care for the sound of Unbaffled exhaust. For track use sure but I doubt a good muffler is more restrictive then the exhaust manifolds.

I'm not going for sound. I plan on doing some NSS races and I want to go uncorked without having to crawl under the car to manually open the cut-outs but if I need to I will. Thanks for the feed back.

Chuck (snook)

I don't recommend any brand that has cutouts that slide shut - get the ones with a butterfly that swivel open.

I've only had experience with one set. A customer requested cutouts and bought the type that slide open. They were a pain in the *** and kept getting stuck.

Auto Transport Service
Back