• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One 383 cylinder head to be machined and gone through

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
Took my cracked head to the Cylinder head shop. Also took them a replacement to be done over. Figured he could use my valves and springs off the old head that only has 4500 miles on them. Left him 288 dollars. Then I get a call it will cost and additional 688 dollars to have the other head done. I think that is a little over the top for one head. With using the valves and springs. He asked me when the last time I had machine work done. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Figured Maybe in the rim of 500 would be plenty and what happened to the 288 dollars I left him.

Took my cracked head to the Cylinder head shop. Also took them a replacement to be done over. Figured he could use my valves and springs off the old head that only has 4500 miles on them. Left him 288 dollars. Then I get a call it will cost and additional 688 dollars to have the other head done. I think that is a little over the top for one head. With using the valves and springs. He asked me when the last time I had machine work done. Any thoughts on this is appreciated. Figured Maybe in the rim of 500 would be plenty and what happened to the 288 dollars I left him.
Almost a grand to do 1 head???? I would get an itemized estimate before I would go any further. Something does not make sense.

It is getting harder and harder to find shops that work on this old motor we have. I checked the head with a straight edge, and it looked good. Still, he says going to mill thou. off it and he does that with every head he gets. Hope this does not give me a problem with my half dome pistons in the motor.

It is getting harder and harder to find shops that work on this old motor we have. I checked the head with a straight edge, and it looked good. Still, he says going to mill thou. off it and he does that with every head he gets. Hope this does not give me a problem with my half dome pistons in the motor.
I would of bought a pair of 440 source or edelbrock before I spent that much on one head.

Sounds like you do not know what he did.
Things that may have been done;
Install new guides and hone to fit
Resurface head
Install seats
Grind valves
Grind new seats to valves.
Degrease/ clean
Set valve heights
Assemble head
Let's say tops 100/ hr
Could you do that work in less than an 8 hr day.
Oh, plus parts. Plus taxes.

He`s hammering you. that's the I don't care what you think or want price I just got a new $120.000 machine. take it or leave it......oh also you're in Florida, they think we're all millionaires here.

Get an itemized list of what he has done and what his plans are for the other head and get that list with the labour costs. Only he can answer your questions. Kim

Last edited:
Get an itemized list of what he has done and what his plans are for the other head and get that list with the labour costs. Only he can answer your questions. Kim

This. Cannot judge the cost if we don’t know the scope of the work to be done.

Also wonder why the old head cracked. Mopar cylinder heads don’t just crack for no reason. Are they heavily ported?

Last edited:
No porting standard head. 906. Asked if we could use my valves and springs. They were all new. Trying to save on cost. Requested new unleaded seats to be replaced also. They will run a mild surf on the head about one thou. on the mill they told me. The head came off a running car. But that don't mean much if guides are worn. Just to say a buddy of mine had his motor rebuilt and one of his heads did the same thing in the same area as mine. He was mad and said the builder should have caught it. Hope this is enough info. Blue.

I would put a want ad here for a used replacement. It should be cheaper than repairing your old head.

If someone showed up at my shop with a 906 head that needed-
Cleaning
Bead blasting
Magnafluxing
All new guides
Hardened ex seats
Valve job
Resurfacing
Cleaning old parts
Reconditioning valves
R&R expansion plugs
Assemble head and set spring heights

You’d spend around $500-550……it adds up fast

If there was stuff like removing broken bolts/ex studs, fixing stripped threads, etc…..that would be additional labor billed at $85/hr.

If the OP’s head is cracked under the two center ex ports, that’s a pretty common problem.
I have seen that repaired by “stitching” or pinning.
Might look and see if someone in your area can do it.

I had a good motor that dropped a valve in one of my 906 heads that had ALOT of work done. I have the other head if you might be interested, nice porting work. Just thought I would ask.

I had a good motor that dropped a valve in one of my 906 heads that had ALOT of work done. I have the other head if you might be interested, nice porting work. Just thought I would ask.
Send him a pm with that information.

Ok update. Got the head back and those guys did not swap all my exhaust manifold studs or put the valve cover studs in form the other head. Would not recommend them to any one after spending that much money. Now pulled the other head so I could paint the shock tower and noticed the head gasket is leaking between 2 and 4 and as well between 4 and 6. Looks like blow by between them. Have a new gasket connect type hope it will solve the problem. Will check the engine with a straight edge and the head also. What else. Figure it might have happened when the top radiator hose blew off and the motor got hot. I only drove about a mile and a half. But it was pretty darn hot. Waited for three hours before putting water back into the motor and driving it home. Well, that is life, I guess. :BangHead:

For a basically stock 383, I’d just use Fel-Pro 8519pt-1 head gaskets.

What was the bill for doing the one head?

See if you can check the head and deck for straightness.

Ok update. Got the head back and those guys did not swap all my exhaust manifold studs or put the valve cover studs in form the other head. Would not recommend them to any one after spending that much money. Now pulled the other head so I could paint the shock tower and noticed the head gasket is leaking between 2 and 4 and as well between 4 and 6. Looks like blow by between them. Have a new gasket connect type hope it will solve the problem. Will check the engine with a straight edge and the head also. What else. Figure it might have happened when the top radiator hose blew off and the motor got hot. I only drove about a mile and a half. But it was pretty darn hot. Waited for three hours before putting water back into the motor and driving it home. Well, that is life, I guess. :BangHead:
I will bet with that screwing a courteous reach around was out of the question.

Auto Transport Service
Back