• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One more on 73 B-body

Sputnik

Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Suspension this time - I don't have the time at this point to rebuild the full front end - but it looks like while the engine is out is the time to do the upper A arm bushings - can I do these without removing the entire control arm (as in separating ball joints, etc) - also plan to do the K frame bushings, anybody like the solid aluminum bushings ? Thanks.

Attachments

• P1090824 (Small).JPG
    P1090824 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 181
Solid bushings ? I have a machinist that could make them if I had the specs.

I'm interested to know how this goes.

My FSM says to replace the UCA and bushings as a unit !?!
I know- good luck finding that.

I wonder what kind of cribbing will be required to press those bushings off that shaft.

I'm also in the market for solid K frame "isolators", but they seem awfully pricey for what they are. I think FirmFeel and PST make them but I'm pretty sure I remember a few others.

I'd rather go solid, than poly, beacuse I want the handling tight as 72 and older, not just "better" than 73 and up. I also HATE polyurethane squeaks.

Please let us know what you do.

- - - Updated - - -

...and I don't think it will matter much on the engine being in. There's pretty good acess, and the stuff comes out the wheel well.

...unless you got headers that cover the access hole...

You can just burn the old bushings off/out of the control arm/shaft with a propane torch...clean it up, then have the new bushing pressed in/on...or press them in/on yourself if you have a shop press...

Might be interesting pressing BOTH ends of that shaft.

Perhaps a sacrificial bolt through one of the holes...

Much different than a single ended job such as the LCA bushings.

yes.. just disconnect the king pin bolt from the frame, then spin the UCA 180 degrees.. then use an impact and a UCA ball joint removal tool with some jimmy riggin' and you can press the bushings out and reinstall them without removing the balljoint from the spindle.

Are we talking about the entire bushing (metal sleeve and rubber) or just replacing the rubber (or poly). I noticed that some mfg (Prothane, Suspension Restorations) sell the bushings only and instruct customers to remove (burn) out the bushings, either upper and lower control arms, and replace the bushing only , the sleeves must be reused and protect from damage (or else) - I've always bought the complete units with sleeves and had them pressed out/in but finding "old school" mechanics that have done this before is getting tougher (had a kid screw up a LCA on my Dart a few years back - said he'd done it before but ............). Is there a preference and why ?

Auto Transport Service
Back