• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One way for people to walk past your 66 Satellite at a car show....

I don't go to car shows often. But I grew up at them since my old man built and sold street rods. So we were always at one.

On a whim I tool my 66 Satellite a local one. My car isn't anything special by any means. But from a distance it looks ok.

Until an all original 66 Hemi Satellite is 1 car away, he was the original owner, had all his original paperwork and everything. Even bought it from the local Plymouth dealership.

Not gonna lie it was pretty freaking cool.

Here's a pic off the net

View attachment 1311211
Just a personal thing of curiosity for me, but I'm always curious when someone gives a Red "X" Disagree reaction
to a post - so in this case, why did you @fuely62 ??

I'm to the point of not taking mine to shows much anymore except for the two Mopar shows in SE WI I like to make each year. Most Mopar people get my car. Some non-Mopar car people get it. Almost no non-car people understand it. And that's all fine, but I have no patience anymore for the ones who think it's a pile and can't help asking me why aren't I restoring it?

View attachment 1311223View attachment 1311226
Hey!! Why don't you re-store that pile?? Currently stored in your garage? You could re-store it in my garage....

That comment is wide open for remarks!! In jest!
Are you disappointed that people don’t see Hemi anywhere? If so.
Solutions!
Put a big Hemi decal in the back window.
Buy big magnetic decals saying Hemi for the doors or quarters, he he.
Cora took off the Hemi emblems on the ” Ghost” so she could have fun.
Had a very nice conversation with her many years ago.
My reply was to Dad’s Bee.

For me the cars are all about performance. I always get a kick out of how people ignore the 66-67 cars even the 440 and Hemi cars. They would kick butt and not bother to take names back in the day and now even the majority of Mopar guys still walk by them at a car show. Little do they know....
I agree. My 1967 R/T with 440 does not have any engine call-outs on it. People that are familiar with Mopars ask if it has a 383 in it. I explain that it has the standard 375 hp. 440 Magnum, and the only option was a 426 Hemi. I say that if you wanted to kick a GTO's a$$ in 1967, you bought one of these cars ( or a GTX ). If you wanted to kick these car's a$$, you bought one with a Hemi. A lot of times when I say it has a 440, the response is, " Is it a SixPack? ".

I’ve had that same question on my 67 GTX many times - is it a 383? I don’t know what they think the 440 hood emblem and 440 pie pan on the air cleaner represent - maybe torque like some early GM cars put on their air cleaners.

That comment is wide open for remarks!! In jest!
Are you disappointed that people don’t see Hemi anywhere? If so.
Solutions!
Put a big Hemi decal in the back window.
Buy big magnetic decals saying Hemi for the doors or quarters, he he.
Cora took off the Hemi emblems on the ” Ghost” so she could have fun.
Had a very nice conversation with her many years ago.
Nope, Not at all. To some degree kind like it.
Not to mention it makes for a helluva conversation starter in a big way once I raise the hood .
Usually talks start with :
Do you actually drive it ?
I didnt know they made a Satellite with a hemi !
is it real ?
I get a lot of comments about the pearlessence red interior color , usually from women .

And so on

I’ve had that same question on my 67 GTX many times - is it a 383? I don’t know what they think the 440 hood emblem and 440 pie pan on the air cleaner represent - maybe torque like some early GM cars put on their air cleaners.
You need to educate people like that and next time they will not have to ask. But my real thought on the matter is they don't need to know if they don't know. or just tell them the stupid tale it's a Hemi they will not know the difference anyway. You know everyone owned one. Will a few did, but it was easier to do on a 383.

My friend with a 69 Hemi Roadrunner gets that question all the time at cruise night - is it real? He‘s kind of a joker and his usual response is: Yeah - you’re looking at it aren’t you? It’s not an illusion.

And I'll walk past many a car at a carshow, only to STOP to look and admire... a Plymouth Satellite. In any condition. Any year.

I would be more apt to look at someone's old beat-up iron than the pristine with three binders of stripped and repair (why yes it all original). Will how can it be original when everything's been replaced. Not to mention some of us can read a tag and if it lacks tags. No, it's not original so cut the crap. I think you all know the type. If they just brought their car and forgot the hype I would have no problem with it. Will you spent a **** load of money on something and it's a nice-looking car.

My friend with a 69 Hemi Roadrunner gets that question all the time at cruise night - is it real? He‘s kind of a joker and his usual response is: Yeah - you’re looking at it aren’t you? It’s not an illusion.
When someone asks me I my car s real,I say yes,if you hit your knee on the bumper it's gonna hurt!

I always thank people at car shows for taking enough interest in my car to stop and talk or ask questions about it. In my part of the world, GM and Ford owners greatly outnumbered Mopar owners, and I suspect this ratio holds true with spectators. In 50+ years of playing with early B-bodies, I have amassed a lot of knowledge about them. I know that I am not going to live forever, so I feel it is my duty to pass it along to the next generation, or who ever is asking. We need younger people in our hobby, or it will die with us. I try to be polite and forgiving of "dumb" questions. There is no bigger turn off than arrogance or condescention.

Last edited:
That’s why I mentioned my Roadrunner friend is a joker. There are at least two ways his response could be uttered, but he does it with a grin on his face and in a way it’s not offensive at all. And if someone wants to talk about it he will bend their ear for an hour telling them stories about the problems with restoring this one and how his very first car was a Hemi Roadrunner that he totaled in his teens - all in great humorous detail. There aren’t many old Mopars around here so they tend to gather some attention.

I did really enjoy the few conversations I had with a few people - like I said, I grew up doing it we had a wide range of cars when I was a kid. My dad wasnt overly brand specific back then, but built what he found, fixed what he could and flipped them. I guess for ease of everything he probably had more GM products, but his heart was always Mopar when it came to our drag cars. Just a few cars I remember riding in and getting taken to school in when I was a kid.

Ford T-Bucket (i would so love to get one of these just for cruising around in and the general ease of working on them)
69 Chevelle SS 396
Early elcamino (I want to say 66 or 67 but I dont remember)
39 Chevy Coupe (he had this as his own personal show car)
70 1/2 Z 28 (I know its always a big debate with these cars but it was the split bumper version)
73 Satellite
74 Dart

I had taken my drag cars a few times to a few shows over the years, primarily for sponsorship commitments etc.

Now for this show, being I hadnt even walked through one in 20 years - I was surprised at some of the cars. Tons of Fox Body mustangs, some really nice, and I dont have an issue with these - they are available and tons of go fast parts readily available. Lots of mid 90s corvettes, which personally dont do much for me, but hey to each their own. Was a ford probe (i guess that in itself that it didnt rust to nothing is worth showing off) it was in really good shape and was cool to see actually. Lots of older street rods and that reminded me of many years ago, and of course plenty of older muscle cars of all makes/models.

But I guess what struck me the most was that it was the same people (not literally) at this car show as their was 35-40 years ago. Was not many younger generations there at all, I suppose a few of the mustang guys may have been younger but they werent by their cars. But I would say the vast majority of the fellas I saw were at least 65 plus years old with their stuff.

When I first got the 66 out, a lot of people asked me if I was going to take it to shows and I kind of scoffed at the thought of it. Now I do think I will take it a few more times, I just moved to this area and I wouldnt mind meeting a few more folks with similar interests.

You want to see the young generation you have to hit the streets and know where to go. The way we old farts have treated rice burners and tunners it not surprising they don't show up at shows. But go to any nations sponsored event and what do you see. Beanies, rice burners and the other weird looking things. Not many of us old guys that go to those.

You want to see the young generation you have to hit the streets and know where to go. The way we old farts have treated rice burners and tunners it not surprising they don't show up at shows. But go to any nations sponsored event and what do you see. Beanies, rice burners and the other weird looking things. Not many of us old guys that go to those.

I would agree with that - they really werent treated good the past 20 years when those things were beginning to come around. I remember some of those kids coming around my pops place for help with their car, or a weld here or there. My old man was pretty good about it, but some of the kids mentioned they usually get turned away. He would tell them that in the 60s they got turned away from some people too and had to learn or find someone.

I remember talking to another fella that got it - says its hard to be mad at these kids that tune with a laptop, when you realize they can pull more power out of these cars with a lap top in an hour than we could in an entire summer :)

. My old man was pretty good about it, but some of the kids mentioned they usually get turned away. He would tell them that in the 60s they got turned away from some people too and had to learn or find someone.
Very true.... In the 70's Musclecars were shunned by the Hotrod crowd... I remember being snubbed by many guys back then... So we did the same thing kids do today, we stuck together with people our age & helped each other as best we could...

I've tried on a few occasions to help young guys with serious car problems, one had a blown up axle, another a blown head gasket, same offer both times, I have tools, you do the heavy work with my supervision & I'll do or at least show you how to do the technical stuff... Both would rather walk/bum rides than work on a car... If I''d gotten that kind of offer as a kid I'd have felt like I'd hit the jackpot...

I own a 1966 Hemi Satellite,
And to be honest. Until I pop the hood it hardly gets any notice at all.

it doesnt have big gaudy decals or emblems telling the world whats in there . just a small emblem on the very lower section of the front fender .

One of these days, I want to put the stock hubcaps and some white wall tires on it.( like shown ) Then just just sit back and listen the the crowd

View attachment 1311189

View attachment 1311192
I have to say, that mine would complement that one nicely as I know it will go to a great home!!! Now to get the beast fired up!!! cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Auto Transport Service
Back