• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on price of two 383's for sale on Craigslist

What are you saving the original motor for? Why not freshen it up with rings and bearings etc... and run it, instead of going through all of the trouble and expense to put a different one in? Are you going to race the car and dont want to risk blowing up the original? There is not much difference between the 383 and 440.
Please show us some pictures of that '68.
Sorry I didn't reply about pictures, I'll see if I can get some up soon.

Not racing it, just don't want to run the risk of something happening.
All too often, original motors get separated from there original cars, and never find there way back into them. Remember, you are only the keeper of the car for now, its life will go on long after you are gone. Rebuild it right and take care of it, and nothing can happen to it and you can enjoy it, as its supposed to be. If you decide to sell it it will have the correct motor in it, and be worth alot more, than with it sitting in the corner of the garage. Just my thought.
I've pondered doing the same thing before.

The money you’d be spending on those engines would go a long way towards rebuilding your original. If you take care of it it’ll last another 50 years. Just my opinion, and we all know opinions are like ********, everyone has one.

Those adds have been on DC CL for well over a year.

Just my opinion, but the prices are high. I'd pay $400, maybe $500 if he had the manifolds - tops.

What are you saving the original motor for? Why not freshen it up with rings and bearings etc... and run it, instead of going through all of the trouble and expense to put a different one in? Are you going to race the car and dont want to risk blowing up the original? There is not much difference between the 383 and 440.

4speed68rt, I posted pictures and history with my Road Runner on the Welcome Wagon under "Hi Robert here, been a member for 2 years (Pictures)" It should be close to the top of the posts there.

He can keep them.

I think that is DOUBLE what they are worth.
I have sold them for 1/2 that and disassembled
and guaranteed!

I think the seller is smoking crack. Way to much $.

That's the most lame duck excuse answer I've ever heard/read in my life! Ask him how he tells if a block is cracked or not just by eyeballin it, then ask hime what sonic checks are for? He's a Mopar guy that's been smokin to much cheeba, I'd offer half what he's asking or look for something better. Good Luck
What they ^^^^ said !!

For 1250 it should run and run decent.

Hell I just picked up a rebuilt never fired up (std bore too) 1968 383 non hp complete carb to pan with beautiful machine work (pistons are at .007 below deck across the board)...for 300 bucks.

Keep looking...they are out there.

Like Don said, the Thermoquad isn't original to any 383 although that one looks like it might be sitting on an adapter plate. It's kinda hard to tell. The turquoise valve covers are 68 or earlier, so again, not something that came on the engine. I'd say his prices are a bit high for a crap shoot without any clue on internal condition. I'll do a shameless plug here. I have a 383 block that just came out of the machine shop with a fresh bore and level deck and that block can be had for less than either one of those.

Like Don said, the Thermoquad isn't original to any 383 although that one looks like it might be sitting on an adapter plate. It's kinda hard to tell. The turquoise valve covers are 68 or earlier, so again, not something that came on the engine. I'd say his prices are a bit high for a crap shoot without any clue on internal condition. I'll do a shameless plug here. I have a 383 block that just came out of the machine shop with a fresh bore and level deck and that block can be had for less than either one of those.
Is it a 383hp and what is the date code?

Is it a 383hp and what is the date code?
The machine shop cut the pad when they did a level deck on the engine. That's pretty common with the B engines unfortunately. It's dated for a 68 model year by the casting date.

Auto Transport Service
Back