• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on price of two 383's for sale on Craigslist

bake68rr

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a 383 and found these. Seller has two, one is a 383HP the other is not. I asked if he knew, anything at all about the condition, he said they both need rebuilt.
I asked if they are guaranteed to be rebuildable? No cracked block/heads, broken pistons/rods, no spun bearings, not already bored out to the max?
He said 50 year old engines all together date correct these engines do not have a crack issue and you can come by, we can disassemble it for a deposit and you can see it.
He said the least he would take is $950.00 for the 383 and $1250.00 for the 383HP. He's a Mopar guy, has four Road Runners, opinions on his prices.
mopar 383 engine - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

What are you going to be putting the 383 in? Are you going for a date correct resto? The prices are kind of high, but if they are in good shape, it might be worth negotiating a better price.
It is hard for somebody to guarantee a used motor, that has not been disassembled, only that it doesnt have a history of being cracked.
See how you feel about the guy, does he seem honest or does he make you feel like he is trying to dump some junk on you.

If you're not going for a date correct resto and you plan on a rebuild anyways, why not step up to a 440? Gonna be the same amout to rebuild and you'll have an engine with a lot more torque and hp. Should be able to find a 440 cheaper than those prices too.

I am looking for a 383 and found these. Seller has two, one is a 383HP the other is not. I asked if he knew, anything at all about the condition, he said they both need rebuilt.
I asked if they are guaranteed to be rebuildable? No cracked block/heads, broken pistons/rods, no spun bearings, not already bored out to the max?
He said 50 year old engines all together date correct these engines do not have a crack issue and you can come by, we can disassemble it for a deposit and you can see it.
He said the least he would take is $950.00 for the 383 and $1250.00 for the 383HP. He's a Mopar guy, has four Road Runners, opinions on his prices.
The thermoquad shown wouldn't be original to either engine. So likely the intake is not original either.

The thermoquad shown wouldn't be original to either engine. So likely the intake is not original either.
Like Don said, the Thermoquad isn't original to any 383 although that one looks like it might be sitting on an adapter plate. It's kinda hard to tell. The turquoise valve covers are 68 or earlier, so again, not something that came on the engine. I'd say his prices are a bit high for a crap shoot without any clue on internal condition. I'll do a shameless plug here. I have a 383 block that just came out of the machine shop with a fresh bore and level deck and that block can be had for less than either one of those.

Even if disassembled, you will not know the real condition just by a quick eyeball. Blocks can have hairline cracks that will not show up until after they have been cleaned and wet tested. I have a nice looking 440 block that was found to have a crack after I had it hot tanked. It came out of a running 71 New Yorker.

I think that is DOUBLE what they are worth.
I have sold them for 1/2 that and disassembled
and guaranteed!

I think the seller is smoking crack. Way to much $.

He's a Mopar guy, has four Road Runners, opinions on his prices.

That's the most lame duck excuse answer I've ever heard/read in my life! Ask him how he tells if a block is cracked or not just by eyeballin it, then ask hime what sonic checks are for? He's a Mopar guy that's been smokin to much cheeba, I'd offer half what he's asking or look for something better. Good Luck

Not sure what a deposit on a tear down would be. Seem a little high for having no history for them.

I surf CL for fun and see stuff like this often:
Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 12.54.13 PM.png

What are you going to be putting the 383 in? Are you going for a date correct resto? The prices are kind of high, but if they are in good shape, it might be worth negotiating a better price.
It is hard for somebody to guarantee a used motor, that has not been disassembled, only that it doesnt have a history of being cracked.
See how you feel about the guy, does he seem honest or does he make you feel like he is trying to dump some junk on you.
I'm restoring my 68 Road Runner that I've had since 1973. It's all original and rather than putting the numbers matching 383 back in, which I rebuild years ago and has 30,000 miles on it, I thought I'd drop in another 383. My thought was to save the original. I'm not looking for date correct, any 383, HP or not as long as it will work with a 4 speed. I have posted in the Want To Buy section. He won't take less for either one.

If you're not going for a date correct resto and you plan on a rebuild anyways, why not step up to a 440? Gonna be the same amout to rebuild and you'll have an engine with a lot more torque and hp. Should be able to find a 440 cheaper than those prices too.
I really want to stick with a 383 because I am more familiar with it.

Like Don said, the Thermoquad isn't original to any 383 although that one looks like it might be sitting on an adapter plate. It's kinda hard to tell. The turquoise valve covers are 68 or earlier, so again, not something that came on the engine. I'd say his prices are a bit high for a crap shoot without any clue on internal condition. I'll do a shameless plug here. I have a 383 block that just came out of the machine shop with a fresh bore and level deck and that block can be had for less than either one of those.
I noticed that too, also the bolts of the intake are loose and there are bolts missing from the valve cover so he's has been inside. If he knows more he won't say. I don't want to
pay $1000.00+ and find out it is not rebuildable'

What are you saving the original motor for? Why not freshen it up with rings and bearings etc... and run it, instead of going through all of the trouble and expense to put a different one in? Are you going to race the car and dont want to risk blowing up the original? There is not much difference between the 383 and 440.
Please show us some pictures of that '68.

For a price comparison, here's a couple 383HP motors in my area. $500 each. Not complete but they might not be be a mishmash of different year parts like the ones you posted. On the other hand, they might be.

What are you saving the original motor for? Why not freshen it up with rings and bearings etc... and run it, instead of going through all of the trouble and expense to put a different one in? Are you going to race the car and dont want to risk blowing up the original? There is not much difference between the 383 and 440.
Please show us some pictures of that '68.
Not racing it, just don't want to run the risk of something happening.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back