• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinions on a 400 build

piwo440

Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
I have another thread going on here about my 66 Charger build and I appreciate all the comments, but now I want to see if I can get any and all opinions on finishing up the motor build. Specifically I would like to know what you guys would use for this build as far as heads, rockers, converter, intake, carb, rear gears, etc....

Here is what I have. Early 400 block now at 469 ci. Eagle crank and rods, JE pistons. Comp cam and lifters (solid) 540 lift. High volume oil pump with a hemi pick up.

Trans is a 727 with a TCI full manual reverse valve body.

8 3/4 rear with 3:23 sure grip

right now I have a set of 906 heads and a set of 516 heads (untouched)

The car is going to be driven, mostly around town... with a few passes down the 1/4 mile every once in awhile.

I'm looking for any and all opinions, what combos would work best etc... single plane or dual plane intake, 3:23 gears or something like a 4:30, build my 906 heads or go aftermarket aluminum, rocker shaft assemblies, etc...

Thanks very much!!

Since you have untouched iron heads I'd go with aftermarket aluminum. For the price and gains they can't be beat. For street driving I'd keep the cam overlap fairly low so a 112 - 114 lobe separation cam should give you the best compromise. With 470 inches you won't be shy of power so no need to run a 4.30 gear. 3.23's can do very well IF you build your engine power band around them. Performer RPM would be a good choice for an intake and keep the carb on the small side (750 CFM) for the best all around performance. Carbs must have a strong vacuum signal to work properly.

Whats the stroke and rod length on that motor, if it's in the range i think it is id go better than that 540 and go with a bigger roller and also not in 112/114 range.

That motor should have a good RR and that 112/114 and small cam, small heads and intake stuff goes out the window.

Since you have untouched iron heads I'd go with aftermarket aluminum. For the price and gains they can't be beat. For street driving I'd keep the cam overlap fairly low so a 112 - 114 lobe separation cam should give you the best compromise. With 470 inches you won't be shy of power so no need to run a 4.30 gear. 3.23's can do very well IF you build your engine power band around them. Performer RPM would be a good choice for an intake and keep the carb on the small side (750 CFM) for the best all around performance. Carbs must have a strong vacuum signal to work properly.

could not say it better.

Auto Transport Service
Back