• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on best carb for big wedge street/strip motor

I tell people that all the time.

Every combo is different.

And this one is certainly that.......1050 made 3hp more than his 950, which is a surprise considering it made 10>15hp less than with an 850. I wasn't there@the dyno time so don't know about afr or anything much only what I can get out of my mate who is not really a racer at heart tbh and not forthcoming with the info I really need to make good decisions, he's more a laid back old man like I seem to be these days.:lol:...but I am still up for the technical stuff as I was back in the day as it matters.

We will start with his 950 to get a base for sure as its the only way to do it, my info is limited unfortunately, I advised my mate to get a verter made for his car/combo but he said the guy@the shop has 1 that he thinks will work, well I trust him to a point as he is a mopar racer and does well etc., but?...I don't really like the way all this is going as it just makes my job helping that much harder, I don't even know the cam or the lash specs on it!!....I have the desire to get things as good as we can with what we have, I'm not sure he has quite so much of it. At the end of the day all we can do is run it, and I'll try and get as much info on shift points/converter flash trap rpm etc. etc. and all the rest as I can get from him and keep notes and see if I can sort it to go rounds.

I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Everything I've read so far says a 950 flows around 820>830 and an 850 has larger venturi and flows more which showed up with the dyno pulls on this motor, +10>15hp but not that much with a Dom.

There are at least 3 different “950” combinations.

The “original” HP950= 1.375v X 1.750 bore

QFT style Q-950= 1.450v X 1.750 bore

Billet Holley XP950= 1.600v X 1.750 bore

The Mighty Demon 850 we used on Ron’s 572 was 1.562v X 1.750 bore....... so it has a physically larger venturi than two styles of “950’s”.
So yes, some “850’s” are actually bigger than some “950’s”.

Well I've only seen under the bonnet of the car with the 440 once when he was having some issues, otherwise it didn't get opened, but I definitely remember seeing this>https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/hp/classic_hp/parts/0-80496-1

I'll know soon enough and we'll take it from there, we can see why the 850 (1.562x1.750) made more power (700+hp) than his 950 but how does a 1050 Dom (1.690v x 2000 bore) if original type make less hp than an 850 carb, we don't know how much effort was made to dial each carb in or the lack of it as I'm assuming, but how far does a 1050 have be out to make less hp, the track will be the only way, no more guessing, at least we'll have an afr guage on the car which will help.

at least we'll have an afr guage on the car which will help.

:thumbsup:

Of course, if I didn’t have a carb or manifold for it yet, I’d just put a 4500 card and manifold on it.
Ultimately....... that should make more power.

The ports on the cnc ported 572-13’s are raised even more than the -1 heads, and the ports are a little wider too.
So, I’d check the manifold to head port alignment.

Could be done with one of those little cameras.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back