• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on missing fender tags

No Superbird fender tag has A13 on it. U or V confirms it's a Bird right off the bat by having a 440 engine noted in the VIN. A13 is only on the broadcast sheets. They didn't give Superbirds there own R"X" number.

I don’t know much about Superbirds, except that I want one. Thanks for the info, I’m always happy to be enlightened with more information! Drive on, brother!

I'm definitely glad my 70 Roadrunner has its original fender tag, and I actually used it to decode what I should expect to see when I was on the way to finalize the sale and pick it up. Being a V-Code made that much more important, but I guess "the twist" to my post is that it's a 440 6bbl, with the proper internals, but not numbers matching. Also, I knew that I was going to modify the car. One of the recent things I did was have front and rear torque boxes and subframe connectors welded in. That's not something I'd think would ever be reversed, certainly not by me.

The VIN tells you what model the car is (RR, Satellite, Charger RT, etc) so you cannot misrepresent that on a tag. The VIN will tell you what engine size came in the car. So you cannot put "V" or "R" on the tag (6 pack or Hemi) when your VIN says G (318).

Its a Federal crime to alter your VIN, not repop a fender tag. Yes, if you fill a new tag with options that the car never had and someone can prove that (if you sold it), then you could be potentially be facing a fraud charge if someone wanted to pursue it.

I’m selling a pretty rare car right now, but it has no fender tag or build sheet. It’s not impossible to prove what it is because it has all of the parts that make it a rare car, most that people would not change to make a fake car real, especially at its price point. I’m going to write to Chrysler historical and see if I can get a copy of the build docs, it’s a 66 so I may get lucky. It would certainly help the naysayers ease their mind, but I know what it is, and ive talked to the 2nd owner who got it from the company that ordered it new, so there is some confirmation. It still would be easier with a build sheet or fender tag tho!

OR, the 71-yr old idiot that threw away his build sheet in the mid-70's! Still have my fender tag tho, lol.

OR, the 71-yr old idiot that threw away his build sheet in the mid-70's! Still have my fender tag tho, lol.
My 71 Charger R/T that I had, bought as a "cool used car" back in 1978, at 16 going into my senior year in high school, it had the build sheet under the rear seat, in the springs, commonplace location. I was installing Cerwin Vega! 6x9s in the rear shelf, and I had removed the seat bottom to run wires. I have no idea what happened to the sheet, and once I got my "graduation gift" a new 79 R/T Aspen w/"police" E-58 360 option, my parents decided that "I didn't need 2 cars" so I sold the Charger.
I actually came across a 70 Coronet Super Bee about 2 years later, Plum Crazy, 4 speed, Ram Charger, and a 440, and offered to trade my Aspen for it. That didn't happen.

Missing fender tag on a slant 6 car; no big deal.

Missing fender tag on a Hi-po Mopar; big deal.
I’m in RC’s and YY1’s camp on this, I bought mine because it had fender tag, broadcast sheet original drivetrain and I felt it substantiated the car and the price I paid, but that’s just me, but that never stops me from appreciating others old Mopar muscle without that piece of jewelry.

Always wondered why ma Mopar never riveted those on during the build.

I am compelled to throw this post out here, just because of the "talk of fender tags"...
A guy and his dad who live a few miles away from me have a number of MOPARs, and one is a 70 Challenger R/T, ORIGINAL car, 426 Hemi, automatic, and I can't remember for sure but I think it's a S.E. as well, and a California car. It's a TWO tag car.
Pretty cool stuff!

My current GTX carries a story I would never have believed, if I hadn't been part of it (16 year old drives heavily optioned factory Dealer Demonstrator GTX, dealer keeps it as family car for 15 years.) It has the original fender tag, broadcast sheet, dealer invoice, and window sticker. I have multiple sales brochures from 1969, with the dealership name and address stamped on the back. So 50 some years later the story has some credibility. Otherwise, it's just the rantings of an old car guy. I like documentation.

Last edited:
The more valuable the car. The more the missing tag hurts it

But if it had the ORIGINAL build sheet I would still consider it

broadcast sheet
In 1978-79 I had bought a "cool used car"...my 71 Charger R/T 440, 4bbl Slap Stick auto, A/C, power disc brakes. Unfortunately the 8¾ was an open 3.23, but it would smoke that one Delta 60 Road Max for a block!
Anyway, I removed the rear seat to run some wires for my (awesome) Cerwin Vega 6x9 rear speakers and the broadcast sheet was in the springs. Totally readable and in good shape, I don't know what happened to it, but I "had to sell it" at 17 per my parents who said "you don't need 2 cars" and my dear grandmother had offered to buy me a new car for graduation. I drove a 79 standard transmission Mustang, but I wound up ordering a 79 Aspen R/T. E58 "police" 360, black with gold strobe stripes, and a dog at about 180 horsepower but faster (3x in a row) than a 78 or 79 Hurst/Oldsmobile w/a 350 4bbl. Lol.

I’m lucky my Dads 1970 Hemi Charger that he bought in 1971 has the fender tag, 2 broadcast sheets ,numbers match on all the points on the frame as well as the engine and trans.

The VIN tells you what model the car is (RR, Satellite, Charger RT, etc) so you cannot misrepresent that on a tag. The VIN will tell you what engine size came in the car. So you cannot put "V" or "R" on the tag (6 pack or Hemi) when your VIN says G (318).

Its a Federal crime to alter your VIN, not repop a fender tag. Yes, if you fill a new tag with options that the car never had and someone can prove that (if you sold it), then you could be potentially be facing a fraud charge if someone wanted to pursue it.
this dude did on both accounts
Smiley ECS BS VIN & Fender tag.png

phony BS

Smiley ECS Delusional Obsessed-Neurotic-Wannabes.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back