• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on missing fender tags

70 plum Runner

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi, Looking for opinions on cars missing fender tags, and how it effects re-sale/value. Let me know what you think!

Too many variables. A car with complete #'s matching drivetrain or replacements? Car have a Broadcast sheet but no fender tag? No to both? My Superbirds tag's been missing since the '80's to someones tool box at a body shop, but I have 2 broadcast sheets for the car..

In this case, non numbers matching drive train, no build sheet. It does have all matching body numbers that confirm it is a RR.

The issue with no tag, no sheet is that options and paint color can't be confirmed.

Last edited:
LOL, I actually had the Grandson of the previous owner of my car looking for it last month on Facebook and we touched base, along with me talking to his Mother who's dream is to buy the car back for him since GP died. He was the body shop owner, fender tag was already gone according to Grandma when they picked it up in Texas early '80's. With 2 sheets and full knowledge of where the car was sold originally I had a replacement tag made in 2018 and have made no attempts to hide that it's a repro by "aging" it or faking inspectors stamps.
superbirdcleanup20182019 1162.JPG

a min. of a 25% hit to the value
really depends on who the customer/buyer is

many of the MoPar crowd is very persnickety
when it comes to fender tags/ID tags
Vin tags #'s matching body & engine/trans #'s
also with no broadcast sheet,
tough to decipher what was really on it, from the factory

some don't care about matching #'s or fender tags etc.
as long as it's not some hot car/chopshop deal

there should be #'s on the radiator support
& under the weather stripping on the driver-side rear/side trunk drip/drain rail
should match the VIN tag ID#'s
if all that doesn't match the VIN #'s the car has been pieced together
or was in a chop shop or out of a wrecking yard Frankenstein

if it's the latter, none of the stuff matches
do some research before you put any $$$ in it

Nothing wrong with a tribute or clone, as long as you're honest
that it's a Belvedere or Satellite cloned into a RR,
real RR's are all RM23 HT or RM21 Post coupe min., 1968-70

you can get reproduction Data/ID Fender Tags, if it's legit
just be honest about what it was/is, it's a federal offense
to misrepresent something, Especially with forged documentation

there only an original once too

good luck

Last edited:
Missing fender tag on a slant 6 car; no big deal.

Missing fender tag on a Hi-po Mopar; big deal.

Dads bee did his bird right, not hiding it and has plenty of documents to back up the theft of his tag... I would probably done the same thing too... still an awesome car that is a true bird .. some putz just needed that tag..I also agree with Rich, you need to back it up if you claim you have something kinda thing. On the other hand no tag, no papers is pretty much a blank sheet, IMO it does reflect on value. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I’ve had the opportunity to buy a super clean 64 Fury 361 for over 20 years. The only thing holding me back from buying it is the missing fender tag.

I think a missing fender tag on anything sucks. It’s like a missing piece to a puzzle.
But it’s never been a deal breaker for me. It doesn’t change the enjoyment I get from a car.
If your looking at an investment, it’s a big deal.

@Richard Cranium nailed it perfectly! and so did @YY1 - how important is the correct options or color? "base" model, no biggie. 1 of 1 Hemi something.....it matters A LOT. You can easily determine the original color in most cases by looking. Maybe take as many "before" pictures as possible and do a little detective work. Compare what looks to be original on your car vs. possible options packages and options choices. Most things you can determine pretty accurately, some things you cannot.

You can prove it's a real Roadrunner (good), but the drivetrain numbers don't match. The VIN shows the original engine size. I don't think it matters too much, you just don't get to say it's "numbers matching" original. To me, that's the level where it maters. It is or it isn't

A missing Fender Tag Kind of burns me up. However, if there is a Broadcast Sheet I might over look. I just don't understand why that one thing is always missing. Even if it's a 318 car. I look at it as part of the History of the car. I think on certain car's it could devalue the car roughly 20%.

LOL, I actually had the Grandson of the previous owner of my car looking for it last month on Facebook and we touched base, along with me talking to his Mother who's dream is to buy the car back for him since GP died. He was the body shop owner, fender tag was already gone according to Grandma when they picked it up in Texas early '80's. With 2 sheets and full knowledge of where the car was sold originally I had a replacement tag made in 2018 and have made no attempts to hide that it's a repro by "aging" it or faking inspectors stamps.
View attachment 1089457

do you get questioned on the “U” code for a 70 Roadrunner?

do you get questioned on the “U” code for a 70 Roadrunner?
Why would I, it's correct! Nobody questions the EW1 though....

As for tags, consider I also bought my Dart Swinger because it DIDN'T have a fender tag or broadcast sheet.

Why would I, it's correct! Nobody questions the EW1 though....

As for tags, consider I also bought my Dart Swinger because it DIDN'T have a fender tag or broadcast sheet.

is it a Superbird?

No Superbird fender tag has A13 on it. U confirms it's a Bird right off the bat by having a 440 engine noted in the VIN. A13 is only on the broadcast sheets. They didn't give Superbirds there own R"X" number.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back