• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinoins on a 1964 polara

pistol_grip_polara

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions, Im not going to get mad at anyone, just curious.

I have a 1964 polara. Not a 500 or anything, but i need the rear quarter trim, but was thinking more along the lines of taking all the chrome off the side. It has the bird shape front piece, not like the 330 or wagons. I saw a 64 drag car (330 Maybe) recently down at the MATS show in Vegas that had all the chrome off the side and kinda liked how it looked.

Any opinions? i know its my car and i have to live with it. Any pics of it without? i've seen plenty with. Im sure if I actually looked i could find the rear quarter trim.

Thanks
Mike

Just an opinion...

It seems like back in the 60's and 70's, the designers didn't quite realize that the design and placement of the trim could have a beneficial effect to make the cars less suceptible to door dings and shopping cart rash.

It seems they were much more concerned with trim as a styling statement.

Nevertheless, some trim from that era DOES function like sidemolding does today.

Take the 66 Coronet 440 and Belvedere II. Both have trim that is located at a excellent level.

The Satellite and Coronet 500 of the same year, however, offer vitually no protection, even though the Sat has trim the entire length of the car, it's just poorly placed- along the tops of the fenders, doors, and quarters.

Just food for thought.

I decided to go without trim on mine, granted without makes a two tone paint job tough due to the body lines at the front. Basically you have to decide where the color cut will stop following that body line.

But it you paint it solid then no worries there!!

Hope this helps.

Here is a picture of her before the restoration started:
100_0360.jpg

Some pics of your car would help this along. I have to disagree with Horry Morry on the difficulty of two tone paint with the trim removed. The '64 has such a natural color break that it almost seems easy. We had our pin striper buddy do our color break with a fine gold stripe. It's barely noticeable but ties it all together.
Etsy005.jpg

I have a 1964 polara. Not a 500 or anything, but i need the rear quarter trim, but was thinking more along the lines of taking all the chrome off the side. It has the bird shape front piece, not like the 330 or wagons. I saw a 64 drag car (330 Maybe) recently down at the MATS show in Vegas that had all the chrome off the side and kinda liked how it looked.

Any opinions? i know its my car and i have to live with it. Any pics of it without? i've seen plenty with. Im sure if I actually looked i could find the rear quarter trim.

Thanks
Mike

Go for it!
Super-stock" look...

I thought about it on my 63 Dodg Polara "Maxie" clone BUT decided to leave it on.

Is this on a 2 door or 4 door?

I personally would prefer to see the original trim. Also ... that's a lot of holes to patch.

I like 'em better with the trim, but it has a lot to do with how the car is painted and how it sits.

There are pics in my album. It is originally the anniversary gold. It is a 2-door hardtop.

Paint scheme is going to be a copper metallic color, with either a off-white top or a matte black top. Have a go wing to put on it, and doing a bulge hood center off a '70 roadrunner, onto the polara hood. Some type of striping on the hood color matched with the top. Im leaning towards matte black, mainly to match the go-wing and I will have black interior.

Also, going to paint match a set of steel wheels, with raised white letter tires, getting a set of dog dish caps with the dodge triangle logo with the red ring, and picked up a set of 15" stainless beauty rings that have a double red ring in em.

With all that, I'm leaning towards no chrome, but as it was stated above, that's a lot of holes to fill.

as super-bee_ski stated, i think it would give it a cool super stock look, but then would need to spring for a super stock grille. Or thought about getting amber tinted lights for the inner headlights.

I can help with the grille, lol!! I like the stainless trim on the 500, but I also like the "no trim" look. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a good looking car.

I can help with the grille, lol!! I like the stainless trim on the 500, but I also like the "no trim" look. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a good looking car.

I have looked over your write up on the super stock grille. You do some NICE work... what does one of them go for? lol. I could "donate" my grille if needed, or "core exchange" :)

I have to disagree with Horry Morry on the difficulty of two tone paint with the trim removed. The '64 has such a natural color break that it almost seems easy.

From the tail all the way to where the body line turns down in the front I fully agree with you. My only thing is that I don't want the top color to round back at the bottom.

Fully personal preferance though LOL

I'm one for matching as much as you can when it comes to the factory options. I must say however that you could get a ton of different combos on these cars if you knew the dealer. My parts manual alone lists different "upgrades" to the 330 that i thought were only available on the 440 and Polara. It really is up to you, as long as you're not trying to pass the car off as something it's not. there is enough of that going around. There will be a 440 steering wheel horn ring and center in my 330 simply because I like it. might switch back to the 330 set up in the future, who knows.... my $.02. good luck with you decision.

Nothing wrong with it as alot of racers did that to save weight. If I took all the mlds off my 63 Sport Fury it would just look like a 63 Savoy which is fine. Ron

From the tail all the way to where the body line turns down in the front I fully agree with you. My only thing is that I don't want the top color to round back at the bottom.

Fully personal preferance though LOL

Gotcha. Being that our car is a "tribute build" we modeled our paint after Roger Lindamoods "Color Me Gone" cars but personal preference is everything. pistol_grip_polara mentioned putting a go-wing and a '70 hood bulge on his '64 at which point I stopped reading but it doesn't mean he can't pull it off. I'm actually curious to see how it will work. To me the generation gap between parts and models is too big but I guess we'll see.

Gotcha. Being that our car is a "tribute build" we modeled our paint after Roger Lindamoods "Color Me Gone" cars but personal preference is everything. pistol_grip_polara mentioned putting a go-wing and a '70 hood bulge on his '64 at which point I stopped reading but it doesn't mean he can't pull it off. I'm actually curious to see how it will work. To me the generation gap between parts and models is too big but I guess we'll see.

Those "Color Me Gone" cars were great! I almost decided to paint mine just like that.

pistol_grip_polara let us know what you came up with when you get it all together.

...... pistol_grip_polara mentioned putting a go-wing and a '70 hood bulge on his '64 at which point I stopped reading but it doesn't mean he can't pull it off. I'm actually curious to see how it will work. To me the generation gap between parts and models is too big but I guess we'll see.

I thought it would give it a better look. Everyone puts on the wedge scoops and i like my cars to be a little different. My dad has had at least one '70 satellite or roadrunner at any givin time since he was in high school, and I was raised around them. I started into mopars with a '70 sport satellite, then a plum crazy '70 coronet, and a 69 sport satellite. I was looking for a 66-67 satellite when I got a hold of my '64. Im just kind of mixing parts I have in plenty with the car i have. .... at least im working at keeping it mopar, and not throwing a ford scoop or chevy cowl on it..

Its kind of a slow process, one thing at time. I plan on trying to get the hood fabbed up in the near future.

Thanks
Mike
This is our gang from last year at MATS. Our buddy's 64 (silver bullet) has the holes filled in and I think looks clean. Kinda wish I would have filled the holes in on the white one before paint. Got all the trim but kinda use to it now with all the holes in it, plus don't wanna add weight. :laughing6: and, at an angle you don't really see the holes :toothy12:

Attachments

• vegas 2012 052.jpg
    vegas 2012 052.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 286
  • v10.jpg
    v10.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 267
Show off, lol!!!!

bring them with ya, and give me a couple minutes.

Auto Transport Service
Back