• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orbital polisher feedback/recommendations?

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
I'd like your $.02 here if you would be so kind...

It was tough deciding whether to post this here or in the exterior/body/paint section.
But I'd like to appeal to you guys who are up to speed with polishing/buffing/rubbing out a paint finish.
I'm looking to buy what I need to be able to polish an older car with faded paint. And also buff out and polish newer paint jobs with minor scratches (that don't require touch-up).
It will be for personal use, for the hobby or to help someone out as needed.
It's been over 3 decades since I've rubbed out a car. Heck, the gravity fed spray gun wasn't even in dad's tool inventory back then IIRC.
Buffing used to look like this...dad's 7" grinder with a buffing pad, rubbing compound and then some liquid ebony to take the swirl marks out.
And of course, a flat head screwdriver to clean the pad when done lol.

This...
1698335666009.png

Plus this...
1698335587175.png

I'm told now that the above method has become antiquated or outdated and it can all be accomplished with one tool.
Something like this...

1698336220266.png

(this one appeals to me as I already have a plethora of M18 tools and batteries)

After buying and using a Dewalt, I would pay a lot of attention to weight - especially if you’re doing entire cars. After 3 rounds of cutting and buffing my car, over the course of 2 days, my shoulders were spent. Need a variable speed model too.

I am still old school and use wool and various foam pads but with a light weight corded drive. I just don't feel the need to change what is working fine. But, if my corded unit goes TangoUnion then I would probably switch to a battery operated drive as long as the balance is where I want it. Not dragging around a cord would be a plus.

Too be fair, it is really not so much the tool (just makes one more efficient) but instead; it is the skill of the operator.

I have friends with some high dollar welders in their garage, but I would never let them weld anything going on one of my cars. Nice guys but no skill set.

Recommendation: Go with whatever moves you and feels good in your hands.

I have a couple polishers, but just do some small stuff. Wool pad.
But I don't recall seeing a serious paint guy use an orbital. Maybe I'm out of the loop on that

In the past I’ve always associated orbital with sander.
Never with polishing or buffing…
Until as of late.

I couldn't imagine the cordless batteries would last all that long on a charge. Buffers do take some power. Lugging around a cord is more of a inconvenience than a chore. Most guys put it over their shoulder to keep it under control. I sold dozens of Dewalt buffers with no issues. The one with the speed regulator is tops. Cruise control does a nice job. Wow, those old cast ones are man killers.

Last edited:
sanding and buffing has changed quite a bit......... used to go 1200,1500,2000, wool pad buff, foam pad polish........ the wool pad and good aggressive compound was necessary; and more skill was required IMO

nowadays, I go 1500 on a DA, 2000 by hand to eliminate the 1500 ; then I go to 3000 3M trizact pads (they also make 5000)...... if done properly, the 3000 should easily buff with a foam pad, followed up with foam pad polish........ I still like the wool pad after the 3000, but I have a lot of experience....

I still use my old school electric buffer, and have no interest in buying orbital....... orbital is more of a detailing tool that is much safer in the hands of the inexperienced, and won't do very much on it's own........

I never take a buffer to anything without some sanding first; new paint or old...... buffing without sanding is kind of a waste of time and effort IMO; it's all about cutting the surface

BUT............if you're looking to clean up some old single stage metallic paint; an orbital polisher may be the tool of choice....... minus the sanding

Ive been polishing every maybe 3 to 5 years. Use an orbital 10 inch. Let the machine do the work, quick and light..........still looks good.....

Just an FYI if this is the tool you are looking at.

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 21mm Random Orbital Polisher​

The above unit has 8 RPM settings ranging from 2,400-4,500 RPM

Maybe it is just me, but I use a much lower speed a good chunk of the time which is why I use a variable speed drive.

I use a corded Milwaukee 7” polisher with the 3M foam pad system. Very happy with the results.

One of the old car channels I watch on YT turned me on to one these several months ago. The draw was that it doesn't leave the swirl marks like traditional buffers do.
I remember back in the day the swirl marks always seem to reappear after dad buffed them. After the initial application of liquid ebony, it would take regular waxing of the car to hide the swirl marks IIRC.
Hopefully my memory isn't doing dad a disservice here (Sorry dad, if so).

A friend of mine used to doll up cars for a local dealer and he has a similar polisher to what I mentioned in the OP.
He recently used it to address some scuffs (clear coat) on my son's newer truck that needed attention.
It came out really well.
He had (2) or (3) different discs in his kit that varied in degrees of aggressiveness.
I'd like to get proficient at it, regardless of which option I choose.
And I have the perfect car to practice on if needed.

My friend owns a body shop and he has a Makita because of the weight and performance. The Milwaukee
and DeWalt are high quality but are very heavy. After using one on a whole car you'll wish you had a lighter one!
If you're only doing spot buffing, It won't matter, but if you're doing a whole car, good luck!

Does the "dual action" feature really make a difference?
It's advertised as minimizing the risk of swirl marks or burning the paint because it's "dual action".

Polishers like this never really caught on with me in the past.

1698350444358.png

Nothing compared to the way I always saw it done by my pops.

I have the Groits G15 long throw orbital as well as some older orbitals and high speed rotary polishers. The Groits G15 is a serious buffer. If you want even more there is the extra long throw G21 that is recommended for professionals.

Are you shining up older paint or are you sanding and buffing a new paint job?

I have a Makita that I've had for probably 25 yrs. Does a great job. Like everybody knows, the quality of the job is all in the operator.

1698368093568.png

Auto Transport Service
Back