• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1968 GTX

The panels that the radiator mounts to should be black so there is no body color visible through the grille. Usually done on almost all colors except maybe for dark green and black.
If you look closely, there are remnants of the factory half-assed black still on the front of the core support...
but the dude on the line that day was REALLY half-assing it. :)

By the way, this car is pretty much exactly what Fred (my own '68 GTX) is supposed to look like.
He was also bronze with the black interior. Me likey.
Given the pics presented here, I wouldn't have issue with what I saw if I was looking to buy the car.
Things certainly seem to all be of the maintenance/pretty it up nature of the last 52 years.
Numbers would be everything, of course.

$_57 (2).jpg
$_57 (3).jpg
$_57 (4).jpg
$_57 (5).jpg
$_57 (6).jpg
$_57 (7).jpg
View attachment 1059077 View attachment 1059078 View attachment 1059079 View attachment 1059080
If you look closely, there are remnants of the factory half-assed black still on the front of the core support...

By the way, this car is pretty much exactly what Fred (my own '68 GTX) is supposed to look like.
Given the pics presented here, I wouldn't have issue with what I saw if I was looking to buy the car.
Things certainly seem to all be of the maintenance/pretty it up nature of the last 52 years.
Here

Here are some photos I have of car.If you notice something is missing on drivers seat.They say that was the way it was ordered???? $_57 (17).jpg $_57 (19).jpg $_57 (21).jpg $_57 (32).jpg

It has had the carb rebuilt and complete new exhaust,but I don't think those are the correct tip extensions?

It has had the carb rebuilt and complete new exhaust,but I don't think those are the correct tip extensions?
I guess the real question is how far are you looking to take this car? OEM restored or are you looking for mostly original and not concerned about something like an aftermarket carb or newer style distributor for example?

I guess the real question is how far are you looking to take this car? OEM restored or are you looking for mostly original and not concerned about something like an aftermarket carb or newer style distributor for example?
I am looking for an original unmolested,numbers matching,low mileage, rust free car!Don't want much do I?????

Hard to tell but the vinyl top looks like it has a thin padding like the tops they were installing back in the 80's.

I read through most of your thread here but do you have a build sheet for this car? Not sure if the head rest boxes were L/R or separate boxes for L/R. If they’re separate it’s plausible but no, I’ve never seen one without the other. For 68 headrests were not mandatory.

I don't believe you've answered these questions for us to help you.

1. Original unmolested/numbers matching: Tough to find but as long as the major visible parts are correct you'll be fine.

2. Low mileage: What's the mileage?

3. Rust free car: Doesn't appear to have any based on the pictures you given us.

4. What's the price?

5. Is there a build sheet, fender tag, what's the vin. Post pictures.

6. What's the history of the car, how many previous owners.

Hard to tell but the vinyl top looks like it has a thin padding like the tops they were installing back in the 80's.
I noticed something about that along where drip rail is that don't look right.Again ,I am no expert at all just trying not to get ripped off here!Suppose to be 34,000 mile car.Bought new in California and spent most of its life there.They are asking 45K for car.Suppose to have lot of documentation

FENDER TAG.jpg

I read through most of your thread here but do you have a build sheet for this car? Not sure if the head rest boxes were L/R or separate boxes for L/R. If they’re separate it’s plausible but no, I’ve never seen one without the other. For 68 headrests were not mandatory.

I bought this 67 GTX in 1976 and it too only had one headrest. I asked the Chrysler dealer at the time about it and they said it could be ordered that way so maybe you could in 67 and 68. Hard to say though and I didn't keep a copy of the buildsheet. Mine had a blue interior though so it seems unlikely someone would have swapped a seat out.

oldmopar5.jpg

You’ve been given a bunch of good info here. The document you have shows that Galen G gave a report on the car. I would hope there’s more than just those two papers. In the Z/28 world, Jerry M decodes and documents cars. He gives a report for what’s not right about the car at that time too. Most sellers will omit that part of the report because the car has a bunch of wrong things on it. $45k is probably the end of the rainbow on that car. Personally, I know if I go through a dealer I’m not going to make any money on the car anytime soon.
If everything checks out it’s probably not a bad price from a dealer. The single headrest I would drive me nuts. It’s also not console car, that would detract slightly for a GTX IMO.

Here it is.Not sure if it is a copy or not.Looks to me like it is in to good of shape!

View attachment 1059103
You’ve been given a bunch of good info here. The document you have shows that Galen G gave a report on the car. I would hope there’s more than just those two papers. In the Z/28 world, Jerry M decodes and documents cars. He gives a report for what’s not right about the car at that time too. Most sellers will omit that part of the report because the car has a bunch of wrong things on it. $45k is probably the end of the rainbow on that car. Personally, I know if I go through a dealer I’m not going to make any money on the car anytime soon.
If everything checks out it’s probably not a bad price from a dealer. The single headrest I would drive me nuts. It’s also not console car, that would detract slightly for a GTX IMO.
Yea that would drive me nuts to plus getting questioned about it all the time.I do not plan on paying for that car!38K would probably be the most I would go.I plan on offering 35K!I would find me another seat and change that section out if possible and put the original up!Or I could just remove the pass side and plug or cover up the holes!!

Last edited:
One headrest only was usually on the drivers side, but maybe the original owner had a tall wife and he liked her!

$35-$37k is likely what the dealer has in the car. I assume this is a dealer vs and individual with a very large warehouse collection? If it is a dealer I can’t see them knocking off more than $2-3k. But, ya never know until you try.

My one 67 R/T was supposed to have headrests according the the build sheet. The car had three owners and the last one let it sit from 1980 until I got it. I tracked down the second owner who got it in 69. No one ever recalled headrests. When I documented the car and restored it, it clearly had original seat covers, no sign of headrest hardware under the covers. Who knows if it ever had headrests or if someone swapped seats on day 1 or 2. Some of this stuff will be a mystery and all we can do is try to make sense of it. Nice to see there are some confirmations of single headrest cars.

Looks like a really nice car. Just seems to be a lot of deviations from stock for a claimed 34,000 mile car. I would put money on the fact that is has more than that. Headrests could have been ordered for one side only, but like Wayne stated, it was usually the drivers side that got it. No need to get a new seat because of that though because a headrest can be added to that frame easily. Maybe @Richard Cranium would be willing to pick the car apart for you?

Auto Transport Service
Back