• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Pure station

Mike Szadaj

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
0C58AC6D-6D0A-4C9A-B6B5-FE3D24EACAC5.jpeg
FF2911CD-20A2-436E-AEDE-29AAA02E0081.jpeg
Traveling around today, I came across this gas station. I had to stop and snap a couple photos. It is now part of the auto body shop right next-door. When the owner came out to grab some car parts out of the trunk of his car, he opened up the door and let me peek inside. You can tell it’s pretty old because the sign doesn’t have the arrow going through it

When the weather breaks and I have my car on the road again I’ll have to go back and get a picture of my car parked in front of the building. It is designated as historic by the city

The hopeless romantic in me wants to own (and operate!) such a place someday....
The realist in me realizes there's little chance of that.

A few other items of interest I didn’t mention in the original post. Inside the building there is an immaculate vintage gas pump with a Pure globe and the Pure name on the pump. Hanging on the wall was a pair of coveralls with cloth patches of the Pure logo and the Pure fire bird logo and the name Ken. The owner told me that Ken Had worked at the station many years ago, and had decided to come by and give the coveralls to him so they could be back with the station. When Union 76 bought Pure, The Pure sign was replaced with a Union 76 sign. The original Pure sign was never thrown away, so once the station stopped pumping gas they were able to take down the Union 76 sign and replace it with the original Pure sign. In the body shop they are working on a Dart GT, but unfortunately he said he didn’t have time to show it to me.

Not all Pure Oil signs had the arrow through it! My Father worked at Pure Oil as a accountant for over 35 years before Union Oil bought them out in 69. I have a few stations in my area down south, they are now a independent company! PURE Oil Jobbers Cooperative, Inc. (besurewithpure.com)
I have lots of Pure Oil memorabilia, that Dad collected and some That I've acquired as well! Enjoy!
082.jpg

P5240609.JPG
P5240610.JPG
P5240611.JPG
P5240612.JPG
P5240613.JPG
P5240615.JPG
P5240616.JPG

These are a few of Dad's service pins.
P5240617.JPG

I got more to add, I have to take some pics.

As Brother 69a100 just posted, our Pops worked for them and we have a ton of the memorabilia that was put out. We even have racing jackets like what was worn when Pure was the race fuel used in Stock Car Racing. Having had the luck to have grown up during the 50's, 60's, etc. when racing was king, has for ever had an impact upon us. cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::steering::steering::steering::usflag::usflag::usflag:

As I slowly unpack and find more stuff, here's a few of the latest things I've found!
P1010788.JPG

P1010789.JPG

Yes, this is a embossed sign!
P1010791.JPG

I got more somewhere, I just have to unpack more crap to find it! This seems to be a sign of the times, everyday!
539.jpg

And just some old station pics!
096.jpg

104.jpg

533.jpg

601.jpg

602.jpg

1625.jpg

View attachment 1273665 View attachment 1273666 Traveling around today, I came across this gas station. I had to stop and snap a couple photos. It is now part of the auto body shop right next-door. When the owner came out to grab some car parts out of the trunk of his car, he opened up the door and let me peek inside. You can tell it’s pretty old because the sign doesn’t have the arrow going through it

I lived 2 blocks down the street, back in the late 80's.

Auto Transport Service
Back