• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overcoming Frustration

Warhorse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:10 AM
Reaction score
What to do when one's frustration level goes over the top? Update/brief history on the Warhorse project: Rotisserie body/paint restoration in 2014, Mechanical restoration somewhat finished in 2017 however... after months of trying to get the Wilwood power brakes to work, the fuel gauge to give accurate readings, the engine to keep from stalling every time I slammed on the brakes to test them, and subsequent fuel injection conversion (Edelbrock Thunder carb to Holley Sniper)... I ran a brand new wire from the kick-panel connector all the way to the new fuel tank sending unit, checked the resistance and measured about 55-Ohms, which I expected, BUT when it was properly routed thru nylon protective conduit (no less), now measures 0.0-Ohms (short to chassis)... The good news is that all the new wiring concerning the Sniper fuel injection actually works and the engine started and ran great. The required test drive/calibration however is on hold for this freakin' fuel gauge wire... FRUSTRATING...

Ok, rant over. Just need some encouragement to get back out into the shop and start again...

To Do: fix fuel gauge wire, test drive/calibration run for the new fuel injection, test/break-in those pesky brakes (converted them back to manual). Once running and stopping reliably, get the front end aligned at a shop that remembers how to align old MOPARs.

Whew...

Sometimes I just have to look at the first picture I have of the car to see how far it's come, or I realize I was the only person at the car meet yesterday that thinks my Charger needs a repaint! LOL

In my opinion, you did the right thing: Walk away and rant about it to someone. This gives some time to decompress.

Once you get a chance to relax, start from square one and ASSUME NOTHING. Start checking everything and hopefully you will find the issue. I can't tell you how many times I have been burned when I assumed something in a problem system, only to find much later (after a lot of frustration) that my assumption was wrong.

Good luck and keep at it - you are close and you can do it! :thumbsup:

Old saying - 'misery loves company' and you're in a lot of it. You reminded me of the long encounter with my brake conversion among a few other things. Lol, be aware there will be another project to be done that'll be a bee-itch.

I would suggest unplugging the fuel gauge for now.
Put a couple more gallons in it and carry a can.
Get the brakes squared away is step 1 then running/tuning and get to gauge when you get a window of opportunity.
(It could be a bad sender from the sound of your wiring install)
Unless it really drives poorly the front end alignment would be low priority for me as well.
Just my ideas.

I would suggest unplugging the fuel gauge for now.
Put a couple more gallons in it and carry a can.
Get the brakes squared away is step 1 then running/tuning and get to gauge when you get a window of opportunity.
(It could be a bad sender from the sound of your wiring install)
Unless it really drives poorly the front end alignment would be low priority for me as well.
Just my ideas.
Your suggested sequence has crossed my mind, thnx for that input. :)

Thanx for all inputs and for words of encouragement, my MOPAR friends!

On the fuel gauge problem I had similar issues with my car and after much wasted time I just ran a fresh wire from the dash to the sending unit and problem was solved. Old wires and old connections can be a problem.

What to do when one's frustration level goes over the top? Update/brief history on the Warhorse project: Rotisserie body/paint restoration in 2014, Mechanical restoration somewhat finished in 2017 however... after months of trying to get the Wilwood power brakes to work, the fuel gauge to give accurate readings, the engine to keep from stalling every time I slammed on the brakes to test them, and subsequent fuel injection conversion (Edelbrock Thunder carb to Holley Sniper)... I ran a brand new wire from the kick-panel connector all the way to the new fuel tank sending unit, checked the resistance and measured about 55-Ohms, which I expected, BUT when it was properly routed thru nylon protective conduit (no less), now measures 0.0-Ohms (short to chassis)... The good news is that all the new wiring concerning the Sniper fuel injection actually works and the engine started and ran great. The required test drive/calibration however is on hold for this freakin' fuel gauge wire... FRUSTRATING...

Ok, rant over. Just need some encouragement to get back out into the shop and start again...

To Do: fix fuel gauge wire, test drive/calibration run for the new fuel injection, test/break-in those pesky brakes (converted them back to manual). Once running aYnd stopping reliably, get the front end aligned at a shop that remembers how to align old MOPARs.

Whew...
Learn how to do your own alignments! It ain't that hard especially after going to the 'professional' shops and getting crap alignment I read up on front end geometry and started tinkering with mine. There are even products you can buy that helps you with caster and camber settings. Turn plates can be two pieces of flat steel (two for each side) with grease between them. Toe-in is even easier.....but if you do find someone that say they can align it, ask them if the upper control arm adjusters can go full circle and if they say 'yes', run from them!!! Yup, had that happen to a pickup. The world is full of morons that can make your life.....hard and there's lots of them that love GM or Ford cars and hate Mopars.

Learn how to do your own alignments! It ain't that hard especially after going to the 'professional' shops and getting crap alignment I read up on front end geometry and started tinkering with mine. There are even products you can buy that helps you with caster and camber settings. Turn plates can be two pieces of flat steel (two for each side) with grease between them. Toe-in is even easier.....but if you do find someone that say they can align it, ask them if the upper control arm adjusters can go full circle and if they say 'yes', run from them!!! Yup, had that happen to a pickup. The world is full of morons that can make your life.....hard and there's lots of them that love GM or Ford cars and hate Mopars.
Cranky is right. You can do your own alignments. When I did my first ever alignment on my 64 Polara, I didn't quite trust my work so I booked an appointment with an old school guy. He knew how to align these old girls. When he put it on the rack he said that he really didn't need to adjust anything. Made me feel pretty good.
If I can do this, anyone can.

Cranky is right. You can do your own alignments. When I did my first ever alignment on my 64 Polara, I didn't quite trust my work so I booked an appointment with an old school guy. He knew how to align these old girls. When he put it on the rack he said that he really didn't need to adjust anything. Made me feel pretty good.
If I can do this, anyone can.
I did the same thing after my first time and the guy said all it needed was a slight toe adjustment. Man, adjusting toe is the easiest thing in my book and thought 'well, ok' adjust it. On the ride home it was obvious this guy didn't know that the hey he was talking about. The car felt like it was about to turn over on every little bump and dip in the road. When home I checked it and it had more than 1/2" of toe-in!!! Just couldn't believe it. That was in the early 90's.....

Auto Transport Service
Back