• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overdrive or Regular?

69charger

Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
Should I buy a regular 4 speed or an overdrive?
$250 for the overdrive and $350 for the regular.

Depends on how original you want to be and what you're using the car for, and what rear end gears you're running

both my Bee and my Challenger have the standard original 833 and 3.55 gears, I wouldn't trade for an overdrive for the short trips and knocking around I do. if I lived where I drove on the freeways and or had 3.91 or lower gears I'd consider it. well I might, it was never an option and I'm an originality freak so I probably wouldn't.

The spacing of the ratios in the OD make it a bit harder to "bang gears"

I also hear that the aluminum case overdrive trannys won't take as much abuse/ horsepower as an iron case 833. Something else to think about...

yeah, I'm not really an OEM freak so thats not an issue.
I wanna get 3.55 gears for the rear end so I guess I'll go with the regular 4 speed

The biggest "problem" with the aluminum cases is where the counter cluster shaft fits in the case. IF you go banging on it, it's possible to wallow out the case there. BUT, Passion Performance makes a bushing to go in there. It requires some machining on the case, but if you want the OD, it's money well spent.

And btw, if you have a regular 4 speed with 3.55's, you'll have 3.55's. But if you run 3.91's with the OD you'll have a 2.85

The OD 4-speed is an awesome swap... I swapped one into my boss's Superbird for driving to shows and such.... It is a six pack 4-speed trac pack car so it has a 3.54 dana... with the OD I went from Los Angeles to San Diego and back averaging 27 mpg.

The weak link in the aluminum case 4-speed is as stated above there is a .005 (i think) clearance between the countershaft and the case... if you bush this I have seen a guy run one behind a blown 440 with 15" Mickey T's without issues.

My opinion - unless you go racing with the car the OD is a great addition...

I've read about the Passon conversions. You end up with a strong 4-speed but still wide spaces between the gears. I have a Keisler 5-spd conversion using a Tremec TKO 5-spd. It has a steeper first gear than the stock 833 so my 3.54s in the Dana launch like a stock tranny and 4.11s. Overdrive is .68 so it top gear is like having 2.70s or such. They are now a no-cut, no-weld bolt-in. Not cheap, but another option.

Beware - the Keisler kit gives a horrible pinion angle from what i've seen... Awesome transmission though - I got mine through Darkhorse performance and fabbed my own crossmember to give a better pinion angle.

I've read about the Passon conversions. You end up with a strong 4-speed but still wide spaces between the gears. I have a Keisler 5-spd conversion using a Tremec TKO 5-spd. It has a steeper first gear than the stock 833 so my 3.54s in the Dana launch like a stock tranny and 4.11s. Overdrive is .68 so it top gear is like having 2.70s or such. They are now a no-cut, no-weld bolt-in. Not cheap, but another option.

Don't forget to mention how you sort of convulsed like you'd been hit with a defib when I drove the car that first time and snap shifted second gear.:grin:

I some day PLAN to buy a Passon overdrive unit. I don't think the gear spread is bad at all. It is basically the same as an automatic in the first three gears. I have a 4:56.1 rear and plan to run the 1/4 in three gears.

why run the passon kit ? bush the stock OD trans and run it hard... i know guys running in the 10's with them

how do you think the OD would hold up behind a 440?
cause i just found a running 440 from a motor home for $400!

It has a 23 spline input shaft. And if you run sticky tires it's possible to twist that shaft. I know. It was done with Greg's car before he bought it.

nah nah, i'm gonna run some regular street tires I have no intentions on bringing this thing to the track I think I saw on passion performance like a conversion from 23 to 18 spline??
i dunno i may be crazy.

They might have an 18 spline shaft with the correct gear on it for the OD. I don't know. Some racers will also gut their Hemi trans and build it in an aluminum case to save weight. Hence 18 spline aluminum trans...

yeah true true.
my original intention was to put the OD behind a worked over 318 making maybe 400 horses? probably more like 350-375 but anyways I dunno i'm still deciding what to do.
that 440 is looking better and better...

why run the passon kit ? bush the stock OD trans and run it hard... i know guys running in the 10's with them

You should probably go to Passon's web site for ALL of the answers. For me it is a combination of things.

1. No floor or ther drivetrain modifications.

2. Looks totally stock.

3. Has the H.D. Hemi shaft and gears.

4. Has an OD 4th gear that will allow me to drive this car on the highway with 4:56.1 gears at a reasonable RPM.

5. Can be purchased as a gear set to be installed in MY trans case.

6. Gear spread allows me to run the 1/4 in three gears.

You should probably go to Passon's web site for ALL of the answers. For me it is a combination of things.

1. No floor or ther drivetrain modifications.

2. Looks totally stock.

3. Has the H.D. Hemi shaft and gears.

4. Has an OD 4th gear that will allow me to drive this car on the highway with 4:56.1 gears at a reasonable RPM.

5. Can be purchased as a gear set to be installed in MY trans case.

6. Gear spread allows me to run the 1/4 in three gears.

Granted... however the Passon kit is a "copy" of the factory OD transmission but with 18 splines... other than that there is no difference... if you're not drag racing it you'll be alright....

how will it hold up to a 440 ? my old boss had one behind a blown 440 (est. 750hp) and 15" Micky thompsons without issue... The one in my boss's superbird's transmission has held up behind the six pack for years and I honestly am very hard on that car... it has gone around willow springs raceway and gone down the 1/4 mile numerous times with slicks... no issue... and remember it bolts right in too....

I know what the Passon kit is... Car Craft did an article of our shop installing this kit into a 4-speed.... but i dont think it is needed for your application.

Granted... however the Passon kit is a "copy" of the factory OD transmission but with 18 splines... other than that there is no difference... if you're not drag racing it you'll be alright....

how will it hold up to a 440 ? my old boss had one behind a blown 440 (est. 750hp) and 15" Micky thompsons without issue... The one in my boss's superbird's transmission has held up behind the six pack for years and I honestly am very hard on that car... it has gone around willow springs raceway and gone down the 1/4 mile numerous times with slicks... no issue... and remember it bolts right in too....

I know what the Passon kit is... Car Craft did an article of our shop installing this kit into a 4-speed.... but i dont think it is needed for your application.

You are WAY off with that statement. You need to check the gear spread between the two, AND the ENTIRE gear set is Hemi H.D. not just the input shaft. I make it real simple for you, go here: http://www.passonperformance.com/NewProducts/Passon Overdrive Flyer.pdf

The old factory OD unit was built for /6 and 318 applications. It is my understanding from reading MANY posts about it on Moparts, that it will not hold up for racing behind a big block and that the gear spread is NOT 1/4 mile friendly. You go right on ahead and use it, but your not talking me into it.

Auto Transport Service
Back