• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P/S to manual help

Stewsta

Local time
12:00 AM
Reaction score
I'm installing a 68 c body manual box into my 66 coronet which came with power steering. The manual box has a large pitman shaft and the power had small shaft. What pitman arm should I be looking for? Also, the input shaft is different between the two boxes so when I try to fit the power to manual adapter into the coupling on the column it's too big. I'm guessing the coupler will need swapped so what should I be looking for? Thanks,Stew

weight differntial

STEWSTA, manual steering pot on everything I've done was the large DIA. 3/4" steering shaft with 36 spline. The power steering shaft DIA. was 5/8" with 36 spline. What I did on our 64 dodge 440 was to lengthen the steering shaft by approximately 1-1/4" by welding in a pc. of 3/4" round stock. Or you could maybe obtain the correct dia. steering shaft, I have no problem modifying stuff as needed. Now, on the pittman arm I'm of the opinion that you try and source a manual steering pitmann arm for your year group, just make sure to size it correctly. Let me know if this box does not work in your app. I will give you a refund. john. also, the reason I have changed several cars to manual is for the weight offset, as I recall from last year I weighed the complete power assy., was about 75#'s as to 16#. if it weren't for the weight and space differential I would leave it power steering. Also, the large sector on which the pittman arm goes onto is approx. 1.220 and the small sector is 1.110 with my Starrett dial caliper. john.

Last edited:
coronet steering box.jpg
Flaming river sells p/s to m/s colum adapters... they work great but you will pay for them. i swapped to the flaming river manual steering box from power steering but didnt lengthen the steering shaft, just pushed the whole colum through the fire wall the extra 1 1/4" or whatever it is. Cant notice anything inside.

I found my problem with the adapter. It had 3/4 splines on the male end instead of 5/8 to fit the power column.Ordered the correct one.

Auto Transport Service
Back