• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P4349045 #5 Bearing

Big D A12

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
I am fighting the age old problem of a rear main seal leak on my 440. We have had it apart so many times I have lost track. We have tried just about everything without definitive results. Down to just a drop a minute from a gushing leak when we started.

I have read about a P4349045 #5 bearing that pushes the pressure back into the engine. Discontinued on all of the MOPAR sites if you Google it. Has anyone tried one of these? Bigger question, where do I find one?

Thanks for the help guys!

D

IMG_20150417_193322_606.jpg

It is just a 45* groove about 1/16'" deep cut diagonally on the lower shell,you can do it yourself.

You surely are not using a reverse rotation crank as they will not seal without machine work.

It is just a 45* groove about 1/16'" deep cut diagonally on the lower shell,you can do it yourself.

Is there a diagram or picture you can post showing the layout. I agree that a Dremel tool will be able to accomplish this pretty easily. I just don't want to cut it incorrectly.

Thanks. D

- - - Updated - - -

You surely are not using a reverse rotation crank as they will not seal without machine work.

The knurling has been removed from the seal bearing area. The run out is between .002 and .003 inch. Is there something else that is different with the marine cranks? I only know of the reverse knurling.

D

Is there a diagram or picture you can post showing the layout. I agree that a Dremel tool will be able to accomplish this pretty easily. I just don't want to cut it incorrectly.

Thanks. D

- - - Updated - - -

The knurling has been removed from the seal bearing area. The run out is between .002 and .003 inch. Is there something else that is different with the marine cranks? I only know of the reverse knurling.

D
The knurling is all I can find info on it, but in the back of my mind there is something else. Met one of the old guys now decessed form Chrysler engineering about 20 years ago and a bunch of us got on this subject if i could only remember what he told us.

- - - Updated - - -

did you get the picture from 62max. I have a old MP catalog that shows the MP P4349045 if that will help.

The knurling is really for a rope seal but when using the rubber lip seal knurling is not what you want. There are also a few other possibilities for a leak in that area so make sure you do the following: The seal halves should have a dab of sealer on them or have perfect contact when they go together. The seal retainer should have some sealer where it meets the block (around the bolt holes) and along the sides. Make sure the lip of the seal on both halves is facing the correct direction.

The knurling is really for a rope seal but when using the rubber lip seal knurling is not what you want. There are also a few other possibilities for a leak in that area so make sure you do the following: The seal halves should have a dab of sealer on them or have perfect contact when they go together. The seal retainer should have some sealer where it meets the block (around the bolt holes) and along the sides. Make sure the lip of the seal on both halves is facing the correct direction.

Also,if the seal is not pre oiled,it will leak !

And use Perma Tex ultra oil resistant silicone. Especislly along the edges, and where the halves meet, as Meep Meep said. I did this 3 years ago and still no leaks!

Auto Transport Service
Back