• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pilot bearing

Dajkzo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I finally got around to installing my Passon 5 speed. (bought it from a member, great guy). Life got in the way until I blew the clutch :lol:. This is my 1970 RR. Taking apart something that was built/modified 20+ years ago you have to expect some surprises. It has the 130 tooth flywheel, and a 10.5" bellhousing, but..... It's a cast #2468372. Which fits except the bearing retainer has to be 4.354. I knew it was 23 spline however it functions just fine and the shifter is correct for a 1970 B body. The 18 spline 4.3.54 retainers are out of stock so I bought the replacement aluminum bell housing from Brewers along with a Centerforce clutch and some parts to refurbish the clutch linkage and of course my speedometer drive had blown out threads. I have a milling machine and lathe but felt lazy and I like aluminum. Plus, now I have a spare along with the old flywheel for dyno sessions

The good news is the new bell housing save at least 15 lb and it fit just about perfect. I was checking it with a dial indicator and couldn't believe the retainer opening was less than .001" runout, so I tried my tenths indicator and it was .0006".

RenderedImage.jpg

So now that everyone can see under the old girls skirt, you'll notice I have a needle bearing (made in USA) rather than a bronze bushing. I checked the depth from the mating surface and the input shaft on the Passon 855 and have about .200" clearance between the bearing and the start of the splines. A visual inspection of the bearing doesn't show any wear or damage, so I'M looking for anyone who is using this setup to comment.
The current warmed over 383 is getting replaced the winter with a 440 (plan on 500hp as a goal). I believe the bronze bushing would handle lateral load better. Less moving parts
I can grease it, but it's not what I would consider easy to service. LOL

BTW: A shout out to Brewers for their excellent customer service

I have a passon 5 gear in my 69 rr. I used the bearing like you have because I melted two of the bronze pilot bearings. Been 3 years and no issues yet

I have a passon 5 gear in my 69 rr. I used the bearing like you have because I melted two of the bronze pilot bearings. Been 3 years and no issues yet
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to add a little fresh high temp grease and use it. As I mentioned, the winter project is to upgrade the motor

I always use the bushing when possible. Less things that can go wrong in my mind.

Did you index the bellhousing to block?

Did you index the bellhousing to the block>
Yes. I put a dial indicator on a small magnetic stand and torqued the bellhousing. I read under .001" for the bearing retainer so my OCD kicked in and I checked with my tenths indicator. It has .0006" runout at the 7 oclock position. The retainer ID miced to 4.808+. The dowel pins have a hex socket, but I left it alone. The current engine has a drilled crank so I was surprised by the larger needle bearing.

The new aluminum bellhousing appears to be dead on for measurements. It's 130 tooth only. But the machine work is nice. I didn't have to debur anything or chase threads. Not sure who makes it or where.......

Last edited:
Yes. I put a dial indicator on a small magnetic stand and torqued the bellhousing. I read under .001" for the bearing retainer so my OCD kicked in and I checked with my tenths indicator. It has .0006" runout at the 7 oclock position. The retainer ID miced to 4.808+. The dowel pins have a hex socket, but I left it alone. The current engine has a drilled crank so I was surprised by the larger needle bearing.

The new aluminum bellhousing appears to be dead on for measurements. It's 130 tooth only. But the machine work is nice. I didn't have to debur anything or chase threads. Not sure who makes it or where.......
We cast & machine these bellhousing right here in Ohio. It's awesome that your run-out was nearly dead on! Doesn't happen like that every time.

bh513 castings.jpg

Finally buttoned everything up and went for a road test. (new role at work side tracked me). It started out needing the clutch replace (debonded after some hard use) I have a new Passon 5 speed, so I figured, this the time to upgrade. Well old cars are full of surprises. It had a #2468372 bell housing, so I updated to a new aluminum piece with the large bearing opening. An iron flywheel that had some deep surface cracked after we ground it, so I went with a new lightweght model. Centerforce clutch set for the 18 spline 855, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, assorted clips, bead blasted and painted the Z-bar with new hardware and installed the Mancini drive shaft loop and a a rebuild kit for the pistol grip shifter with a 5-speed emblem :)

The clutch is wonderful, smooth, the Passon 855 shifts perfect. It does have a bit of gear noise, but nothing compared to the flowmaster 40s. I had installed new Dana 60 from Dr Diff with 3.73 and the Eaton unit. A 2200 in 5th I get 65 mph running 295/50 x 15s in the back

Now, when the cold weather settles in I have a 438 stroker to swap in.

PS: A shout out to Brewers for their great customer service

Auto Transport Service
Back