• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P4452783AE cam questions ???

1778ppr

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
I’m looking for the original cam for a 1968rr 383 4sp. So, I’minterested in the MP P4452783AE cam. It’s advertised the same way as theP4452783 cam was (“Identical to original”) and has the same advertised specs. Doesanyone know what year the AE was added to the part number and what it means ifanything? Why was the AE added if it is the same cam?

Thanks, John

Maybe an answer can be found in this thread, about the 3rd post down.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=7260914

If the information in that thread is correct and applies to the cam you are considering, it won't be painted purple, will not include assembly lube, and will have Johnson lifters instead of Stanadyne.

I use P4452783 in my 383 4 spd RR. It has been in the car since about 1990. It did have purple paint on it (not that I care either way), and whatever lifters it came with have worked perfectly all this time.

Usually when letters are added to part numbers its because of a small engineering change to the part itself.I work in the auto industry and that's how we do it with our parts ,the parts will still work for the same applications as the original .

Thanks for this information. It sounds like the cam itself has not changed. If that info is correct (link), it is very informative, and it is what I was thinking (a re-release of the same part basically). When I did a search here on ForBBodies Mebsuta posts were the only ones that came up. Does that mean most people are not looking for a stock cam replacement?
I’m still curious as to when they (mopar Performance) added the AE to the part number? I think I have a 2006 MP catalog that does not show the AE yet. So it was added somewhere between 2006 and 2013.
I will probably order this cam kit soon.
Mebsuta, do you have any other thoughts or comments on this cam?
Thanks, John

If you're not going to race or compete, that cam is going to do what it's supposed to do without a lot of drama.

Mine makes 16 inches of manifold vacuum idling around 700-750 rpm and has about 150 psi cranking compression. It probably has a smoother idle than most people want. It's real easy to drive.

I've had different intake manifolds over the years; Edelbrock Torker (wrong), iron 70s spreadbore (could never really get Thermoquad to work), Edelbrock Performer 383 (okay), and now MP M1 dual plane (aluminum copy of 1971 intake).

Since switching to the M1 dual plane, it now warms up faster, doesn't gallop when it's cold, and has better low speed torque. I like it the best. If I had a 68-71 iron intake lying around, I would have used that.

A long time ago, I used an Isky 270 Mega Cam for a little bit. It sounded great and drove allright, but P4452783 was more responsive and I liked it better for what I wanted to do.

If you want a little more camshaft, one of our members uses P4286677 (272/.455) in a 440 and likes it a lot.

I’m running the stock cast iron intake manifold and will be running the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. I currently have a Norris hydraulic cam with a lot of duration. It sounded great with the headers and made plenty of power. Torque and drivability were not much of a problem since I was running a 4sp. The factory stock cam profile for a 1968 road runner is what I’m after. I’m trying to return things to stock. I plan to put the headers and Norris cam in a different engine/car.

Auto Transport Service
Back