• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painless Wiring Harness

Bigbehr21

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you ever used the Mopar Universal Wiring Harness from Painless? I have to replace mine in my 70 RR (mainly because they did not come with the car) and priced the OEM-type harnesses with Classic Industries. If the Painless Harness is as advertised, then that would be great as it is cheaper than buying all of the individual harnesses from CI.

All opinions would be greatly appreciated as well as any other options.

Thanks

I used one on my last b-body. It was pretty decent. All the wires are marked from and to and its color coded well.
It is a bit generic for all the models so a little brain work is needed for the dash hooks ups but all in all I was able to replace the whole wiring system in my car and make it work so it cant be that bad...LOL

Me personally I prefer the Year One offerings by M&H. They are spot on and are easy to install. All the wires match up to factory specs. I have heard that the Painless offerings are an "*** Pain" to work with as they are never right right out of the box. There are other...R Francis, EazyWire, etc. but for MOPARS the M&H offerings are the best...IMHO...cr8crshr/Tuck

used M&H for my build. 2X on what cr8crsher said. factory gauge, color and connectors on the entire harness. absolutely no problems so far.

Me personally I prefer the Year One offerings by M&H. They are spot on and are easy to install. All the wires match up to factory specs. I have heard that the Painless offerings are an "*** Pain" to work with as they are never right right out of the box. There are other...R Francis, EazyWire, etc. but for MOPARS the M&H offerings are the best...IMHO...cr8crshr/Tuck

Have you ever used an *** Pain harness?..LOL
it was spot on as far as I could tell. But is semi generic and not specific to each model. Thats where the brain comes in but if there is an option for the same money that is model specific I would certainly be interested in it

Just replaced my rear light harness with one from Year One and it was absolutely perfect. All the wire runs were identical to the factory harness and the pigtails for the backup lights, fuel sending unit, and licence plate light hooked right up and the grommets were excellent too. The whole job took a little over an hour including taking out the back seat, sill plates yanking the old harness, putting in the new one and getting the car back together. If i replace any more harnesses, I'll go with them again.

i have used painless and ron francais kit the RF kit was much better IMO better instructions easier to setup and came with everything needed. not sure but i think cheaper also

Never used a factory replacement like Year Ones but I'm sure they are easier. I used American Autowires universal harness and like 99ss said "a little extra work". I look at it like this, if your doing a "factory like" restoration with nothing being added to the car then go with Year Ones and save yourself the trouble. If you want to take the opportunity to upgrade to the newer fuses and the added circuits for add ons then go with the aftermarket ones like Ron Francis, Painless or American Autowire.

I also just used the M & H harnesses from Year One on my 70RR. Re-wired the entire car. One of my last projects before I had to report to Oklahoma and leave my baby in Florida to get finished up. It was spot on for everything and was as easy as an electrical re-wire can be. I have never tried the others, but I will place my approval on this one. Just my opinion.

I just fininished wiring a 68 coronet with a 14 circuit kwik wire kit. If you are using factory guages i would not recommend using anything but the mh harness. Th aftermarket wire kits would be hard to wire up for factory guages. The kwik wire kit was pretty easy to install but it did take two weekends to crimp and wrap all the wires.

I have also used the M&H harness' with great results. I agree with the others - if most everything is stock, this is the way to go.

Yep I have used the Painless offerings and all I can say as to my personal experience, "THEY ARE AN *** PAIN" to work with when it comes to MOPARS. I know...I know...some have had a good experience using them for what is most likely a complete re-wire. The M&H are really the easiest to work with because they are exactly the same as the OEM units. And for some of use we like that look of the Bulk Head connector and the way the harnesses wire up. So for me there is no question of which to use. Again my personal preference. I like the KISS Principle the best and the M&H have the KISS program down pat. Finally I would definitely get yourself one of the color wiring schematics that are available out there to help with re-wiring your ride. Regardless of the system one uses, the schematic helps in doing it right the first time...IMHO....cr8crshr/Tuck

M&H = plug & play. A blind man can install them. No B.S.

P.S. I have done both M & H and painless. Building a early hot rod, go painless. Going 60s mopar, M & H or plan on a lot of custom fittings and connectors, enormous amounts of time and swearing.

Thank you all for the opinions and advice. I think I have a clearer picture on what I want to use to rewire my baby. Once again, thanks to all.

Auto Transport Service
Back