• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint for Tail Panel

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can recommend the correct type of paint for the tail panel on my 69 GTX? During the road trip last week, I noticed a couple of spots in the grey painted area of the tail panel that flaked off (marked areas on the pic). This is the grey textured area of the panel. I assume it is some type of Argent Silver, but I am not sure if there is a specific type/brand that is in that texture. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_8598 (3).jpg

If it's coming off of the panel, you should probably strip it all off and put down a coat of DTM epoxy
primer and then apply the new light argent paint!

If it's coming off of the panel, you should probably strip it all off and put down a coat of DTM epoxy
primer and then apply the new light argent paint!
Haven't quite got that desperate yet. It flaked off in just a couple of small spots. Looking for a way to touch it up. If it grows into a more serious problem, then it might warrant a total repaint.

That finish seems to have too much sparkle, the correct color should be textured light argent…

That finish seems to have too much sparkle, the correct color should be textured light argent…
Yeah, I have always thought the same. But it was/is too nice to just correct. If the flaking becomes an issue, then I will definitely be using the correct textured light argent paint.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have always thought the same. But it was/is too nice to just correct. If the flaking becomes an issue, then I will definitely be used the correct textured light argent paint.
Mine is NOS. We can compare at Carlisle. There are ways to cheat for touch up. Trust me, I’ve owned four ‘69 GTXs.

Mine is NOS. We can compare at Carlisle. There are ways to cheat for touch up. Trust me, I’ve owned four ‘69 GTXs.
Much appreciated. I am 99 percent certain that the tail panel was dressed up for show, but not restored to correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back