• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint improvement value

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 GTX, all original body panels with 13 year old paint that would be a 7/10. How much would a professional paint job(show quality) increase the cars value?

Unless it's a 6 barrel or Hemi car.

If you're keeping the car, it's priceless! If you're selling it, just fix and blend what is needed.

It really depends on if you know a guy that can do it for a reasonable price and probably more on what's underneath the paint.
I think 90% of the time it isn't worth it though. Also do you like driving it alot, don't mind the odd rock chip, want to be able to park it on the street while you and the wife have a meal?
There's just no stock answer that fits every situation.

I think most guys with a SHOW quality paint job wouldn't park the car ANYWHERE! I know I get nervous at a cruse in when someone looks like they're going to lean on a quarter panel or fender!
I guess you have to be an owner to respect others pride and joy.? ruffcut

Hell I park at Walmart.. LOL
1966HP2cruisesept292022 016.jpg

I have a 1971 GTX, all original body panels with 13 year old paint that would be a 7/10. How much would a professional paint job(show quality) increase the cars value?
Tell us more about your car - motor/trans.
It would likely cost way more than the increase in value. I painted my car and kept it, but don't think I would do so again. One thing I learned - most shops will quote a minimum, then once they strip the existing paint, if they find surprises they will bump up the price (which is reasonable), but even then, by the end of the job, many shops will want to bump it up even more to cover their poor cost estimating. Here in northern CA, in 2012 my car was original, no damage, straight as can be for a stock car. I had 2 shops quote me $15K and $20K minimum and likely higher. The 3rd shop (I went with) was the only one willing to give a written estimate of $10K max. I chose them because they could take the car immediately, they could still spray solvent paint and they had 2 classics sitting in the shop next to their collision repairs. They estimated my car could be completed within 3-6 weeks. After 8 months with me checking in every month I finally got my car back. Some of my friends have reported waiting for completion by other shops for up to 2 yrs! When I picked up my car the manager tried to stick me with a $11.5K bill ($1500 over the signed max agreement). He told me it took way longer than he expected (but no surprises with the body). I placed the signed agreement in front of him and he got a sour look but accepted my $10K and told me he would never do a car like mine again because it was too much work. I'm just glad in the end they honored their word, but I had to check him on it.

Can you post pics of your paints current condition? You could possibly do a light strip and respray then get crazy on buffing the clear.

My friend paints all my stuff. He says the difference between a 100% job and a 90% job is twice the amount of work. One guys "show quality" and someone elses may not be the same. If your talking welding up all the gaps, doing the underside, taking it completely apart, making sure every molding, emblem, lamp, grille and bumpers fit perfect. That's alot of money. No way you could recoup that investment.
Doug

I don't EVER want a show quality paint job. Don't wanna wait for it, don't wanna pay for it, don't wanna maintain it, don't wanna worry about it. Don't wanna have to park it to protect it.

None of this is an issue if you paint your own cars, including that show quality part.

I will be doing all the grunt work, I striped the rear quarters where there some damage. I took the car completely apart and redid the front firewall forward and painted the engine Bay Area after I removed the engine. All the valances I sanded the interior and painted them including the fenders( stripped the inside, prepped, epoxy coated, 2 part painted and( undercoated fenders only)). I am sanding the hood, fenders, doors, valances etc, with 800 paper. The body is quite sound for being 52 years old. I am rebuilding the 440 at this time also to run on pump fuel( below 10 to 1), It has a tremic 5 speed and a Dana 60 in the back. The interior is 9.5 out of 10. I drove the car over 5000 miles last year. I am painting it in my garage but want the main body done in a proper paint booth, I would do it my self but there are none available in this area. I know way around a paint gun( painted over 50 airplanes ). It is a very solid car. I do plan to drive the car daily in the good weather.

You can pretty much sprey anywhere. What seperates them is the body work. Getting lines straight and panels flat takes time and talent as for using nice stuff. This car makes about 100 passes a year. Starting year 11 this spring. These 1/4s were blocked after welding the 1/4's and stretching the wheel wells 4". Though my friend has a home made booth. This was all garage done.
Doug

64 side view.JPG

Last edited:
I have a 71 that's sounds awfully similar in condition except its still sporting the original paint. Like you i have debated the paint questions for years. I just cant get past the cost of putting a lot of money into a car. the fact that it sits outside all year definitely affects my decision but still paint is not cheap. My buddy has a beautifully restored 71 RR. He is constanly on guard at car shows wiping it done everytime he gets dust on it. I will park next to him at shows . My car is the before restoration, his is the after. I will let people sit in it, lean on it sit on the hood and take pictures. To me its just a car.

I have a 71 that's sounds awfully similar in condition except its still sporting the original paint. Like you i have debated the paint questions for years. I just cant get past the cost of putting a lot of money into a car. the fact that it sits outside all year definitely affects my decision but still paint is not cheap. My buddy has a beautifully restored 71 RR. He is constanly on guard at car shows wiping it done everytime he gets dust on it. I will park next to him at shows . My car is the before restoration, his is the after. I will let people sit in it, lean on it sit on the hood and take pictures. To me its just a car.
You can pretty much sprey anywhere. What seperates them is the body work. Getting lines straight and panels flat takes time and talent as for using nice stuff. This car makes about 100 passes a year. Starting year 11 this spring. These 1/4s were blocked after welding the 1/4's and stretching the wheel wells 4". Though my friend has a home made booth. This was all garage done.
Doug

View attachment 1408585
What is that paint? Looks great! Love the color!!

Auto Transport Service
Back