• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint jail

What gets me is guys will spend 20k on an engine and trans and won’t blink an eye but when you talk 5-10k for a paint job let the whining begin
This is why I stopped doing it for others. Just doing my own from now on.

What happened between Sept 4, 2021 and June 9, 2022??

But I like the approach of his working over 1 panel at a time while keeping the majority of the car bagged to cut down on dust and crud settling in everywhere.

Guy looks at a car I did, he said " I see a small door ding you missed and a sand scratch. I mentioned he was not paying for a $10,000 paint job and leaving the car in paint jail 12-14 months!!!????? Man, you are not even paying me for materials!!!! LOL

Guy looks at a car I did, he said " I see a small door ding you missed and a sand scratch. I mentioned he was not paying for a $10,000 paint job and leaving the car in paint jail 12-14 months!!!????? Man, you are not even paying me for materials!!!! LOL
I painted a car for a guy, he kept telling me I want cheap, not perfect, keep it cheap. Every other sentence was. Cheap and not perfect. I get it done and the car was really nice. He shows up, kneels down and leans against the car and starts eyeing it down the side. I said give me a break, get inside, pay me and leave. Car was pretty much flawless, and I knew it, he was prepping me for the 'you missed this, you didn't do that, so I'm paying less' con. I wasn't having it. If I'd have charged him 40k for a full resto, I'd encourage looking it over.

What happened between Sept 4, 2021 and June 9, 2022??

But I like the approach of his working over 1 panel at a time while keeping the majority of the car bagged to cut down on dust and crud settling in everywhere.
I’m getting a deal from my friend if I allow him to work on mine when there is no other customers car to work on.

Here's what I did...
Ask around for recommendations
Go visit the shop and talk to the owner
Explain exactly what you want - the more detail the better

In my case the only talk of money is the hourly rate plus materials - I do NOT have any estimate. This goes back to the recommendation, visit and discussion from which I concluded I would be treated fairly. It might cost 10k, it might cost 30k ... it is what it is.

Personally I think you have to categorize the shop ...
- Restoration and show quality - you want cheap, go somewhere else - the range of quality is very narrow - these guys cannot afford to do a "cheap" job. Price ... if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
- Collision - decent work WHEN they can fit you in - again, the range of quality is narrow. Quotes will be fairly accurate.
- Splash and dash - you want cheap, you came to the right place - quality is not in their vocabulary. You get what you pay for - probably less than you hoped for.

Last edited:
I do MY own cars, and have for 30-40 years, I am 74, old woreout, cataracs, bad knees, I have cracked vertabre in back and necks. I have been hit headon by an 80 mph drunk 50 years ago. I drive my cars , I cut out the rust and weld in good panels, I get it straight as I can till I wear out, I epoxy prime, shoot high build urethane primer block and give out, seal it and shoot. They aren't perfect, good enough for me as drivers. I sell a car, the new owner can do it as he wants or keep it like I did it.
Guess I should be more "particular"!????? LOL

I have $5000 in materials in my paint jobs!
I have $ 9,300 in it so far, still have to paint the inside and outside of the car. Not worried about the money or how long it takes. I told my buddy to take his time. What he’s done so far look’s great.

2534CC7A-DD93-4CAA-AD9A-3D36F03B4102.jpeg

359C9430-C771-4D87-AC39-04949F87E1AD.jpeg

This is obviously more than just bondo and primer, there has to be some metal replacement in there too?
Yep, new hood, lower quarter’s cut out and replaced, some trunk pan repairs, rear dutchman panel replaced and some other things.

$$$$ Depends IF you can do it or have to pay someone.
Just becasue a person spends the most dollar on materials doe notmean he old achieve the same results with a less costly product. Some things pays to by the best though!!!

$$$$ Depends IF you can do it or have to pay someone.
Just becasue a person spends the most dollar on materials doe notmean he old achieve the same results with a less costly product. Some things pays to by the best though!!!
Your comment take me back to if I was a young man again to " do it over"... I would take some paint and body classes and welding school..... Not to make a living at per se, but to be able to use these skills on my cars or help my kids out....... These are the most costly items and the most intimidating....

And lets not forget Dance classes..... Being confident at the school dance will get you close to lots of young ladies...... LOL

Your comment take me back to if I was a young man again to " do it over"... I would take some paint and body classes and welding school..... Not to make a living at per se, but to be able to use these skills on my cars or help my kids out....... These are the most costly items and the most intimidating....

And lets not forget Dance classes..... Being confident at the school dance will get you close to lots of young ladies...... LOL
The first time I read this post, I was thinking "Yes, that makes sense". Then I re-read the last line about dance classes and thought... This guy is a ******* genius!

Auto Transport Service
Back