• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint or dye door panels?

68383GTS

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
My lower plastic door panels on my 71 Road Runner are in nice shape.But they were painted or dyed at one time and are starting to flake.My first question is... Is there any way to strip all the old paint or dye off?I know a lot of people dye these but they are plastic and I would think paint would hold up better...What do you think?Any ideas,tips?

Thanks,Jim

Take your panels and clean them in warm water with dawn dishwashing soap using a light scrubber pad. That should remove any old flaking, then you can blow dry them thoroughly, prep the plastic with a good plastic prep. then spray them with a vinyl/plastic spray paint in desired color. That's what I did to my lower kick panels.

X2 on the Dawn and the plastic prep before painting. I would try a gray scothchbrite pad and if that doesn't work go to green and next red pads. My only concern would be starting with too agressive a pad and scratching the plastic. You could try a degreaser like Purple Power and see how that works. Just don't use a solvent like acetone or brake clean. I would be concerned with it possibly melting the plastic. Good luck.

+1 to the dawn and scotch bright, then once the plastic is basically ready to paint I'll wipe it down really well with a microfiber towel and denatured alcohol to remove any oil (from hands, etc)

As far as what product to paint it with, I would only recommend SEM colorcoat. Used a couple other "plastic/vinyl paints" before with cracking every time and usually a semi/glossy finish even though the can would say "satin."

Colorcoat works absolutely awesome, is tough as hell, and actually dries in the finish you want. Just did some plastic interior pieces and vinyl door pads for my Charger last weekend, I'll post some pics later today.

Also a great price for the quality of this stuff
http://m.summitracing.com/search/product-line/sem-products-color-coat?toggleResults=display

Not the greatest pictures but here's some of the stuff I used it on.

View attachment 109247

IMAG0802.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back