• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint question about a 68 Charger ( Fendertag and inner fender Service opening sheet‘s“

Moparjack 489

Local time
12:46 PM
Reaction score
Anyone knows how was the Fendertag Original painted ?
First : in the same color as the whole car?
Second :already installed with screws over painted , or separately and screw it on later before the car leave the plant ?

And what a Color they use original for this two opening sheets in the left and right inner fender ?
And they was painted separately or ?

image.jpg

Some fender tags were painted on the car folded back with one screw in them, while others were hung from a wire in the window opening I believe. Not sure which plant did what but I have heard both methods. Someone will chime in. Also, probably should shoot out your VIN on the Charger so we can see which plant it was made in to decide which method was used for that plant and car.

I'm by far not an expert but I have heard that the tags + 1 screw were painted the body color. The other screw was not painted. This may have been the procedure at Hamm.

The access covers were painted Black.

Last edited:
FT are plant dependent Ham bent them back with one screw intact(the one towards the front)and LR hung them on a wire in the front windshield opening while the screws were attached to the inner fender and painted.

The access panels were semi gloss black and the screws for them were black zinc...

Last edited:
'69 Lynch Road = hung from the visor hole on a wire catching overspray, two screws lightly in place on the inner fender to get paint. No signs of my tag ever being bent to confirm that "theory" and what I went with, but probably went a bit better paint on the tag than OE would have been.
beerestoration2017 908.JPG
beerestoration2017 910.JPG

This is what mine looked like when I bought my car 2 years ago, but I'm sure it didn't leave Hamm looking this way.

upload_2019-4-24_10-39-30.png

This is what mine looked like when I bought my car 2 years ago, but I'm sure it didn't leave Hamm looking this way.

View attachment 755123

You can see the front corner looks like it was bent when it originally was mounted and painted. That guy really laid the paint on that tag there haha.

:thumbsup:

Your Charger, I believe, would be a Hamtrack car.. so it would have the left screw painted, tag bent and right screw plain.
Could have been a St Louis car too? Or LA plant?

What letter is in the 7th position on the VIN #?

Auto Transport Service
Back